Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113703 03-07-2010 08:57 PM
notself Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Has anyone tried GNC Pro Performance Mass XXX nutrition supplement? Here is the write-up on it. (EDIT) I am not touting the product. I am interested in calorie and protein dense nutrition. I apologize if I gave the wrong impression.

[quote]Mass Builder

Provides 50 Grams of Quality Protein
Includes a Blend of Fatty Acids and Medium Chain Triglycerides for Energy
Great Source of Key Amino Acids

Natural and Artificial VANILLA

Serious athletes are aware that while trying to achieve muscle mass and strength gains, proper sports nutrition is a must. While striving for such gains, it is essential that you get enough calories, including a balance of quality carbohydrates, protein and fat. Falling short on any of these nutrients can obstruct your performance goals. Pro Performance� Mass XXX� is the right nutrition drink to help you meet your nutritional needs and keep you fueled while working towards gaining muscle mass and strength.

This special blend of carbohydrates includes 83% complex carbohydrates (maltodextrin and fiber) and only 17% sugar. Each serving of this highly specialized sports formula boasts 66 grams of quality protein and 146 grams of carbohydrates when mixed with 2% milk. It also features a blend of essential fatty acids including some healthy unsaturated fats, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are quickly absorbed for energy, and no trans fats. This combination of protein carbs and fat help to provide the extra-calories that you need to put on the added pounds you want.

Mass XXX supplies key amino acids such as arginine and the Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA); isoleucine, leucine and valine. Amino Acids are needed to build the various proteins used in the growth, repair and maintenance of body tissues such as skin, bones and muscle. BCAA help fuel your skeletal muscles, preserve muscle glycogen stores and help to reduce the amount of protein breakdown. Adding BCAA to your diet can be anti-catabolic and have a protein-sparing effect. Arginine is an essential is an essential precursor of nitric oxide and is involved in the body's natural formation of creatine.

In addition, Mass XXX contains a special blend of carbohydrates, the body's primary source of energy. Carbohydrates are an important fuel during intense or high intensity exercise. Carbohydrates also replenish energy stores after high intensity exercise. Furthermore, the combination of dietary protein with carbohydrates following resistance exercise supports muscle protein synthesis.
GNC QUALITY COMMITMENT[/quote]

Last edited by notself; 03-08-2010 12:12 AM. Reason: to add clarity

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Muscle Milk works as does MRI Weight Gainer. The gainer has 690 calories and 50 % of the daily requirement of Protein in one serving. Both can be bought at Rite Aid and mostly at sale prices.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #113730 03-08-2010 12:48 PM
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

ExJim,

My DB will have his tongue sewed down after surgery. I am wondering how difficult it will be to swallow gel caps.

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.

I sure wish I could answer that one for you. They did everything to my tongue but sew it down. I had stitches on both sides but none that way. I would just guess an answer that he has to try his best. Good luck notself to both of you.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
EzJim #113748 03-08-2010 04:31 PM

Geez, notself, I just read your profile and it seems you had problems too. I am sorry I didn't read that before because I usually read everything.

EzJim #113753 03-08-2010 05:32 PM

Notself

I toyed with the idea of such GNC supplements but never actually bought or took them primarily because of no effective oversight on them by any Federal or state agency and repeated reports of contamination. Plus the main ingredient is usually some form or derivative of maltodextrin (as they admit in your blurb), and you can get more cheaper and safer from VHC or Ensure. I did a google search on this product and found a review dated April 19,2009 that made me laugh

[quote]Question :What do you guys think of GNC Pro Performance� AMP Amplified Mass XXX?
Answer: I would stay away from weight gainers/mass gainers, they are garbage. Anything that GNC puts out isn't worth its salt in the supplement world, the company overcharges for everything and its quality is usually sub par. Just consume more calories from food to gain weight.[/quote]

Last edited by Charm2017; 03-08-2010 05:34 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

Charm2017,
Thanks for the blurb. GNC is really expensive and I get your point about quality.

EzJim,
Yeh, I've been through the scary part for myself and now I am going through it with my bro. It is much, much harder to be frightened for someone you love than it is for oneself. All of you on this board has helped me tremendously to prepare for the care my DB will need after he is released from the hospital.

If he needs radiation, then he will stay with us until he recovers from that. His surgeon said that it is very likely that he will not need radiation since he caught it early. However this is the third cancer of the tongue that he has had. I think it will take a staging report before the final decision is made.

I am seeing my oncologist next week. I hope he can arrange to be assigned to my brother's case as well.

Thanks again.

I worried more about my best buddy before he died from cancer much more than myself. You are so right about the worry thing.

EzJim #113784 03-08-2010 11:46 PM
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

Neither of us is worried about dying. We are just worried about treatment.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23