Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Notself. it was a one in a million reoccurence from surgery in 1999 to reapir the same aneurysm. They found it both times doing a CT Scan for somehting else. The 1st I was told about a year for surgery. Less than 3 month later I was golfing with my brother and started to hurt and feel bad. We went home and I called the Dr. He did a scan and then emergency surgery as it was ready to blow. My angels again saved me . I have been luckier than a duck looking for water and finding a large lake.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

The 2nd one was just a routine after OC surgery scan by the same Dr for my esophagus as I still have the barrets which he scans every 3 months. He wouldn't touch this one and got me an appointment with a great Surgeon from Allegheny General in Pittsburgh, Pa. He could only do the upper half for fear of killing me . It is all weird and squiggly looking. He never saw anything like it before. He wanted to wait a year and try again. The year is up.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.

Notself

Glad you are relaxing a little bit, as you can see from both EZJim and myself, your brother's weight loss need not be as troublesome as you fear. That said, it's easy to say don't worry but hard to do. Perhaps you might like a cookbook designed for Cancer patients undergoing chemo and radiation. A friend sent it to us - they bought it off Amazon, and as Christine posted, be sure to use the OCF Amazon link before ordering if you do - so far my wife likes the recipes even though we need to use a Vitamix to fit them down my G tube
the book's name is The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing Big-Flavor Recipes She eats them too so they taste good,
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I'm finding this thread so interesting. The nutritionist from Sloan was the one who recommended the powder from GNC to us. Dave had told her he was using the Carnation 560 to try and keep his calories up (his mouth is too sore to eat much). She recommended trying the powder in addition to the Carnation.

Every Dr we saw urged him to try to keep his calorie intake up. They did stress that it was better if he could do that since he is so thin and many people lose weight with treatment.

I'm going to mention the concerns about GNC mentioned here to get her take on it the next time we speak to her.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
notself Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

SusanW,

I would appreciate hearing what the doctor has to say. Was Dave able to keep his weight?

Charm2017
I just found a couple of terrific sites for smooth food that I will try. I Googled blenderized food and up they popped.

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/diet/pureedentreesalads.cfm

http://www.drjuliatownsend.com/oral-surgery-patient-information/non-chew-diet-recipes.html

I will continue to look for quality body building supplements to add to the recipes. I might try the local gym where the serious guys hang out and see what they use.

I might be able to pack in enough calories through the use of butter and cream to avoid the need of GNC type supplements.

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I'm pretty curious myself after the discussion here.

Dave hasn't started his treatments yet. We meet with the MO on Thursday so I think the hope is the treatment will start a week from today. He is holding his own with the weight but I think the MDs would like to see a few more pounds before he starts.
I don't see that happening though.
It's hard not to worry---I know that I do but it seems the Peg is something that has really helped.

I'm trying to strike a balance between reminding, cajoling, encouraging but not driving my husband crazy due to my concerns about his weight...
I'll let you know what the nutritionist and the MD says about these products.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!

Hi notself I just finished treatments last week. when I was told about the tonsil cancer I only weighed 128 pounds. 5foot 7 and actually got down to 100 pounds. I was put on jevity and was drinking up to 6-7 cans and seemed to still lose weight. But today I weighed myself and put on 4 pounds. I bought a cuisnart food processor and making all kinds of puree high calories and super high protein concoctions. Yes use those powders at gnc that is a great base and you can add eas Myoplex which contains 42 grams of high quality protein! I work at a hospital in food and nutrition for years and I am glad I learned what I did with those special diets. keep a positive attitude and he will get through it look so far I think I weighed the least out of most in here so focus on that positive good luck donald

nov30squcelldec209tonect no treat yet "positive people +positive thoughts brings positive tomorrows"db

As I have posted in other threads, I refuse to just keep taking Jevity 1.5 as my only source of nutrition for the rest of my life. I bought a Vitamix 5200 with the medical discount for $300 and my wife now gives me the exact same lunch and dinner as she has. My weight has remained steady at 134 pounds but I feel much better both physically and psychologically.
I do not use nor need any GNC or health food supplements to get adequate nutrition nor calories. I have found the blenderized diet group on Yahoo to be very helpful as well as the G tube group on Yahoo (again, the wonderful posters on the OCF board turned me onto them both)
As I just posted in reply to another inquiry, Consumer Reports while listing the Vitamix as the number one blender, also liked

CU Recommended image
Oster Counterforms BVLBO7-L
Price: $80

CU Best Buy image
Braun PowerMax MX2050
Price: $50

These are obviously cheaper and if I could swallow, I would have considered them
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 03-09-2010 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm, I take the supplements to gain weight,. I went to a funeral home to see one of my better friends that had died. Everyone there I had known for years and not one of them knew who I was. I looked like a blue gill that had been out of water for 2 weeks and made my mind up then that I was going to put some of the 70 lbs back on. Even my neighbor of 30 years didn't know me.

notself Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow, thanks all for the comments.

My brother is 61. His whole life he was 160-165 until his wife of 17 years walked out on him to marry her cousin. Well he went from 160 to 145 almost overnight. I mean, who could eat? He has been having trouble getting his weight back up ever since. It's been four years.

The last time he visited he gained 5 pounds but lost it as soon as he went back home. What he eats is nutritious but he skips meals. I think he needs some tlc and food. I have a very ancient blender from the 1960's and it's motor could power a boat. I will use that until it blows up. After that I will buy the Vitamix or an equivalent.

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics