Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1132 05-13-2003 02:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Mark, I really wasn't disagreeing with the blood flow comment. Especially because of all the side effects of rad and chemo the lack of being on top of my game mentally is the most frustrating.

I try to make light of it and my husband bears with me, but I worry about my work constantly.

So - please accept my comment for the attempt at humor it was.

Take care,
Dinah

#1133 05-13-2003 05:07 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Mark, I think we all know and understand that alterations in the blood flow to the brain are a reality for many who have undergone radical neck dissections, and all these comments, mine included, were just an opportunity to try to lighten things up a little. The issue of thoracic outlet syndrome, and other vascular related restrictions to cervical blood flow, take up a whole chapter in my head and neck surgery text. They are indeed a reality. Obviously the issues attached to this leave us all with a variety of compromises in our lives depending on how severe and extensive our surgical intervention was. Vertigo is the most common, but even things as remote as blurred vision and nausea can be related to this issue.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#1134 05-13-2003 05:32 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gosh folks there seems to be a lot of guilty feelings out there. :p

I am sorry that my reply came across as unhappy (on my part). I too have an in/appropriate sense of humor and a pretty thick skin so I did not feel any of you were picking on me at all. I clarified my point for those whom jump in in the middle (new people) just so they didn't think my comment was intended as humor or to set up the joke for you. (I can be the straight man if any of you want to hit the road with an act).

My mistake for imagining that you guys had not covered the subject well before I got here! Pretty big ego I guess (runs in the family).

Cheers

P.S. Hydrocephalus is caused by excessive cerebrospinal fluid not blood or lymph so I wouldn't believe that either radiation or neck surgery would cause that.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#1135 05-13-2003 05:38 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Ah the joys of the written word... without the ability to "read" the facial expressions, the tonal nuances, the look in the eyes of the speaker, we are left with bare words, black and white on a flat uni-dementional page...often with plenty of room for misinterpretation. While there are plenty who have come here wearing a thin skin, I don't think the Mark nor I fall into this category...

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics