Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JudeNZ Offline OP
OP Offline

My daughter had surgery in December 08, and during the course of this surgery a nerve was 'knicked' resulting in losing the feeling in her tongue. Her cancer was underneath at the base of her tongue. As well as having a large area lasered, she also had a piece taken off her tongue.

She is forever biting it and also burning it. She's now having decreased mobility, trouble with her speech, and feels a thickening at the front where the surgery was, but this is apparently down to scar tissue and the feeling slowly returning.
I wondered how long it has taken for others to regain the feeling in their tongue.

Thanks

Jude

Last edited by JudeNZ; 01-29-2010 03:24 PM.

mother of 33 yr old diagnosed with oral cancer - tongue - Nov 2008. Light smoker. Surgery 18 Dec 2008 - lasered base of tongue and got good clearance. Removed part of tongue itself.
No lymph nodes affected as caught early. Held off on radiation. Recovering well, taking scares in her stride.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Jude, I too had surgery - a radical neck dissection - that resulted in half my tongue going numb. This was 3/12/09. When I ask him whether or not feeling will ever return, my surgeon only shrugs.

Here it is 10 months later. I do note more sensation on the upper surface. But it's still numb "inside" and on the bottom. I'm hoping that the return of even this bit of feeling is a good sign. But I have no way to know.

I'm indeed sorry to hear that your daughter is going through this. Let's both take heart from what sensation is returning, and keep our fingers crossed!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

In the summer of 2008 I had 40% of my left oral tongue, my sub-mandibular saliva gland and 14 lymph nodes removed. I have good feeling but not all of it back. I can easily bite my tongue, or cut my left cheek and not know it...who knows when or if feeling comes back. My RO told me improvements up to three years and that would be about it. My uncle has had numerous surgeries over the years and he said it always takes time for feeling to come back.

Good luck, be patient and make sure your daughter stretches her tongue with exercises--they do help.

Last edited by Ray1971; 01-31-2010 05:35 PM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
JudeNZ Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to you both David and Ray, your taking the time is appreciated. It's all a slow process it seems, and an ongoing journey of discovery. Not one I ever thought I'd be doing with my child. But that's the hand we're dealt with, so we get on and take one step at a time and one day at a time, and together we'll get there. Thanks for the advice re the tongue stretching excercises. I'll pass that onto her.

She too is always biting her tongue, and I know it drives her mad but she never complains. She's a pretty amazing young woman.

Healing hugs to you both
Jude

mother of 33 yr old diagnosed with oral cancer - tongue - Nov 2008. Light smoker. Surgery 18 Dec 2008 - lasered base of tongue and got good clearance. Removed part of tongue itself.
No lymph nodes affected as caught early. Held off on radiation. Recovering well, taking scares in her stride.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have never had a numb tongue, just one that that hurts so bad it puts tears in my eyes .Heck, this since 2007 and I still have to use Magic Mouthwash and percs to ease the pain. Eating is a chore but I do it. I am waiting for the some day we hear about to occur.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
JudeNZ Offline OP
OP Offline

Doesn't seem right does it. You'd happily have a numb tongue rather than feel the pain. I'll tell my daughter that!

Judi

any day Jude ,, anyday.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users