Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#111332 01-31-2010 03:30 PM
Ray1971 Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hey everyone our dear friend Jerry asked how I'm doing with my problem via email and I decided to share with the forum to the fact when everything comes back A-O-K, I can remember this stressful time better in order to help someone else down the road. No need to worry I will be fine--stay strong<----thats what I tell myself...I have too...it's the only way to go

Well Jerry,

I see my ENT this coming Tuesday at 9am. The best way to describe what I have is like a pair of jeans that keep on tearing. Right where the tumor was a small hole/tear developed and since it first showed up it has gotten longer and longer. Though, it's not getting deeper and I have to take that as a good sign. Both my ENT and RO told me it's scar tissue that has deteriorated due to the radiation treatments. I know that my ENT will schedule a biopsy in two weeks from this coming Tuesday and as long as everything comes back negative, I will then be sent in for HBO treatments. I am currently taking Trental to help develop better blood flow and Triamcinolone Acetonide (yes--I read the box!!) a steroid paste to help the healing process. My RO says I have to be patient with this--because once someone has radiation the whole healing process has drastically changed. It's easier said then done but patience is a virtue!! In addition to my ENT and RO I did see my PD, a PA, and another ENT--they all thought the same thing--scar tissue deterioration.

I have to trust my doctors but if the cancer is back I will do my best to get into a CCC. I had trouble due to insurance but there has to be a loophole. I will deal with that when and if the time comes.

I didn't post any of this on the forum because I feel that I am doing everything that the others would tell me to do. The thing that makes me nervous is that when I was first diagnosed with this cancer July 16, 2008, in one way or another I met 5 other people with OC from the age of 23 to 77 before I joined OCF...Jerry--only two of us out the 6 are alive and three of them were treated at couple of the best CCC's in the country. I know we have to tell ourselves not to look at the numbers...But that's hard to do--it turns my stomach.

Raymond

Last edited by Ray1971; 01-31-2010 03:40 PM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

Raymond,
Don't forget the classic advice "It's not cancer until the biopsy says it is." Your doctors seem to be confident and we of the OCF family are certainly praying they are right. Maybe what you need is to go buy some duct tape to repair that rip.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Ray1971 Offline OP
OP Offline

hehehe...duct tape....maybe super glue/liquid band-aide would work?

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Geez people,, don't forget about Gorilla glue. That sounds rough to me Ray but you have that positive going for you. A lot of patients have died from the CCC I went to for my 1st surgery and neck dissection. It's all a risk I think no matter where. This OC is treacherous.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users