Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
x28007 Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I am over 2 yrs post tx. I have been doing pretty good, but am getting concerned about my teeth and am losing faith in my dentist. I use all of the Biotene products to help with the dry mouth. I use Prevident 5000, dry mouth formula toothpaste with 1.1% sodium fluoride. I also had custom trays made and use Gel-Kam with 0.4% stannous fluoride daily, and I get my checkup and cleanings done every 4 months now. In spite of all this, some of my teeth have little black spots on them at the gum line, and a couple of teeth have had small pieces break off at the tops. I also have an old cavity on my back tooth at the gum line under a bridge. Now...This is why I am losing faith in my dentist.......
Whenever I go in for my cleanings, he comes in for maybe 3 minutes and says, "well I am not going to ruin good enamel for that little thing." Or, "I would just wait until that back cavity causes the bridge to break and worry about it then". Or, "I wouldn't pull that tooth, I would just file it down to the gum line and then you won't have to worry about HBO treatments".
These comments make me feel like he just doesn't want to have to do any work on my teeth. Last time I was in, back in October, he even said...."I will probably be retired before that bridge breaks".
This dentist took the business over from his father and he seems to be living in the dark ages. His office decor is still from the 70s and his equipment looks antiquated. He won't turn the heat up in the office because he doesn't want to pay a big heating bill so his staff goes around wearing sweaters and jackets. I'm beginning to get the impression that he just doesn't want to deal with anything at all concerning my teeth. I've heard that he was one of the best in dental school, but that was a long long time ago. I am the first patient that he's had with radiation to the head and neck.
My question is to anyone on this site.....How can I go about finding a good dentist who is experienced with patients having had radiation to the head and neck????? I called the American Cancer Society and they said that they cannot recommend anyone because it would be a conflict of interest. I asked my radiation oncologist, and he didn't know of anyone either. I thought that was quite strange. So, now I'm frustrated because I don't feel confident that I am in good hands. I'm in Virginia....any help will be appreciated.

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I asked a very good oral surgeon in town. He recomended four good dentists off the top of his head. If you have an oral surgeon near you that has delt with oral cancer, they should know a good dentist.

kelly

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR

You had mentioned at one point that you were located between Richmond and Norfolk. Perhaps the head/neck cancer clinics at Virginia Commonwealth University (formerly Medical College of Virginia) and Eastern Virginia Medical School have names of dentists who are experienced with patients who have had radiation.

You could also use Kelly's suggestion by seeking recommendations from oral surgeons affiliated with those facilities.

I see that the UVa head/neck cancer team includes a dentist. His office may know of other dentists closer to you.

Have you tried checking with our own Jerry Wilck (wilckdds)? I know he's in Pennsylvania (and he's retired, lucky guy!) but perhaps he knows of a listserv or other group for dentists who are familiar with the issues that arise in such patients.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My ENT and surgeon both referred me to a few dentists to find who I was comfortable with.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics