Next Thread
Print Thread
#1095 05-10-2003 06:53 AM
DavidD Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone,
It's been 2 weeks since the surgery and I seem to be on the mend. The surgeon says he did get everything and with clear margins in the area of the tumor. He did say that one of the main nerves for the tongue was removed just to be on the safe side, as it was to close to the area of the tumor. They seemed to be very surprised with my recovery, not sure why. I think it helps when you hate hospitals. Don't get me wrong the Staff was wonderful, but I hate everything else about being there. I was out of ICU the day after surgery. The tract was changed to one that allowed me to talk. Day 2 they removed it completely so I could eat and drink. Day 4 they let me go home.....yaaaaaaaaaaaah. Know for those of you who have had this procedure done I have a question. This morning while doing my morning dressing changes and clean up I noticed that my flap seems to be no longer connected at the tip. It now looks like I have a forked tongue. Is this a concern or am I just going to be part lizard....HA.HA.HA. Also, the color of the flap resemble that of. well I guess boiled meat. Is this normal and will it change in time? It seems to be the same color as it was the 1st day I say it, but I thought it would start looking more pink by now.
I was also reading and catching up on the posts from the past couple of weeks. There was a discussion about PEG and if someone should have it put in or not. I am glad I have mine and wish I would of had it in 7 years ago during radiation. Not only for feeding but also for medication that can be impossible to swallow at times. I also may have been able to control the weight loss a bit better than it was. I am 5' 11" tall and at the start of radiation weighed in at 220lbs. By the end of 6 weeks of treatment I had lost some weight which is normal. However, it continued over the following four months and I ended up at 110lbs and back in the hospital with meningitis and anorexia. Get PEG put in she is your friend.
David

#1096 05-10-2003 03:48 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think it would be appropriate for you to have your docs check your flap. The color may be nothing, but you don't want to run the risk that the blood supply to it has been compromised in some way. This could mean the loss of the flap. Please just be sure and have them take a look.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#1097 05-11-2003 06:15 AM
DavidD Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Brian,
I will be seeing him tomorrow afternoon. I really hope it is nothing to worry about. Do not want to go back into the hospital.
David

#1098 05-11-2003 08:46 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

David, You're correct in your description of the flap looking like boiled meat, and no, it never does become a pretty pink or red, the same color as your old tongue was. But as long as it's functional......

The tip of my tongue turned a creamy white and looked somewhat like cottage cheese. On inspection my ENT just said that the blood supply was not good enough, would never take, and just pulled off the dead part. No pain, no nothing. It was weird, but nothing throughout this ordeal is ever normal. Is it?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#1099 05-17-2003 07:20 AM
DavidD Offline OP
OP Offline

I had my check-up and the surgeon said everything was good. He thinks that the reason the flap separated at the tip is due to the swelling. He did not say if it would fall off or if it will have to be remove at a later date (that is not going to happen!!!!). Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the swelling to be gone? I feel like I have way to much tongue for my mouth. Mind you there are a lot of people glad I do not talk as much as I use to. Actually they are happy I can't yell.....LOL.
David

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics