Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bruce C Offline OP
OP Offline

On 8/29/00, I had a radical neck dissection for Stage 4, Squamous Cell Carcinoma. The primary was located in my right tonsil with metastasis to my right lymph nodes. The day after surgery, among other difficulties, I had pain across my right pectoral muscle, down the back of my tricep, across the front of my forearm to my thumb. This pain has not gone away since the 8/29/00 surgery. On 9/25/00, I began the first of the 6000 rad radiation treatments and finish on 10/5/00. My recovery was slow, with complications and, on 5/02/01, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Every day, since the radical neck, I have had the same pains in down my right arm. The Drs. will not to attribute the pain to the surgery, radiation or the MS. Even though, I had the pain immediately after the surgery and prior to the radiation and MS. My Drs. Currently want to do a selective nerve root block between the C5-C6 to see if that won't help with the constant pain. It seems as if they're groping. Is that because there is not a therapy for a damaged, radiated brachial root/plexus further complicated by MS. What damage can happen to the brachial roots/plexus from a radical neck dissection? What are the treatments for an injured brachial roots/plexus? Are there others, that you know of, with SCC and MS?

Aug. 2000-diagnosed SCC Tonsil; Stage 4; May 2002-diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Bruce,
We have a lot in common! I do not have any supporting information about your pain but it seems suspicious that it would start right after your surgery. I am sorry to hear about your MS I hope you have the kind that goes into remission and stays there! congratulations on 2 + years since your diagnosis.

perhaps others have more information.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23