Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108982 12-18-2009 11:37 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

This is definitely not a bad "after treatment issue" but just a question to throw out there and see if anyone else has experienced it. I have had migraine headaches for the last 10 years - 3 or 4 per month. Since I had the radiation and chemo, I have not had 1 single migraine - they stopped about week 3 of treatment. My MO said he could "see" the reason why it may affect my migraines - thickening of the arteries and diminishing blood flow to the brain. However, he has never had anyone tell him about it before. Has anyone else experienced the cessation of migraine headaches after radiation treatment? Did they stay gone? How long? Definitely a silver lining at this time.

DX 2/10/09; Stage 1 SCC side of tongue; Partial Gloss; PEG in 3/3/09; 3 Cisplatin; 35 IMRT; PEG out 7/17/09; Eating via mouth and walking 3 miles/day 4 wks after treatment end. 50 pound weight loss; Clear PET 09/09 and 09/10
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

When I had ovarian cancer in 1996, I had surgery and Taxol/Cisplatin chemo for 5 - 6 months. My migraines stopped. Prior to that I was a one a week or fortnight migraine sufferer. However, I also stopped work ... worrying about one's mortality is not the same sort of stress as the daily grind??? It's a mystery.

I suppose I'm trying to say that it might not be the radiation alone ...

Now that I am in my 60s I don't get as many headaches anyway. I can even get away with eating a bit of chocolate.

Anyway, cessation of migraines is a very good side effect!

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Alpaca #109454 12-28-2009 10:54 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi there,

Have read your posts with interest. My partner has suffered with headaches on and off for years. They are not classic migraine headaches as he doesnt have vision problems - he says they start with a sensation just above his teeth and then move round to the back of the head. Sometimes he is able to nip them in the bud with painkillers otherwise they can get realy severe and last several days.

Shortly after he was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in August 2008 they disappeared and stayed away throughout treatment (during which time he lost several stone). Unfortunately they started again in May this year by which time he had started to eat normally and had put most of his weight back on. He has been having mild ones on a fairly regular basis since - it is a bit scary as it is on the same side as his cancer, but they seem very similar to the type of headache he has had for years. We have been completely baffled as to why they would have disappeared during treatment (radio and cisplatin chemo). Was it just the weight loss, changed diet or more directly related to the treatment?

Do keep posting if you find out anymore information about this -
I would be most interested.

Regards,

Cathy

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912