Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Colgate Gel-Kam uses Stannous Fluoride (0.4%) which stains the teeth.

There are other products that use Sodium Fluoride (1.1%) that don't stain the teeth.

I started with a Stannous Fluoride product, but due to heavy staining was switched to one based on Sodium Fluoride.

I was told that either product is fine. Currently I use Neutra Maxx 5000 Gel, but there are a number of other brands available.

You might want to discuss this with you Cancer Center's Dental Group or OC Dental professional.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

Acupuncture may be a viable option in some cases for some dry mouth.

There are a growing number of people in my local OC Support Group who think so and are receiving an Acupuncture protocol consistent with the one being used in the MDA trials.

At one of our recent local Support Group meetings Dr. Brummund from UCSD CCC told us that acupuncture is often recommended and used here at the US (Balboa) Naval and VA Medical Centers along with the (NIH) UCSD CCC (where he is a H&N Surgeon).

The link below contains info on acupuncture trials at MDA.

www2.mdanderson.org/depts/oncolog/articles/09/6-jun/6-09-brief.html

Researchers at M. D. Anderson have found that acupuncture made patients less likely to experience xerostomia�severe dry mouth�following repeated radiation therapy for head and neck cancers.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I am acquainted with Dr. Chambers at MDACC. Please note how careful he was in his quote about acupuncture's ability to improve salivary flow.

In the study, 19 patients suffering from xerostomia due to radiation therapy underwent twice-weekly acupuncture sessions for 4 weeks. The patients were then tested for saliva flow and completed questionnaires designed to gauge the effects of the acupuncture sessions on their quality of life. �Patients in the study had improvements in their physical well-being and in subjective symptoms,� said Mark S. Chambers, D.M.D., a professor in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery and a study author. �Although the patient population was small, the positive results are encouraging and warrant a larger trial to assess patients over a longer period of time.�

There were only 19 people in the study, which is microscopic in its scope and ability to draw conclusions from it. Also notice the careful use of the word "subjective" in his quote. And while he comments on measurement of salivary flow pre puncture, he does not mention a measurable improvement in actual flow post accupunture.

The problem with all the acupuncture studies so far in the US, is very few of them took the time to actually, in a scientific method, measure salivary production/output pre acupuncture and post. They relied on the patients "perception" that something was better. None of the positive studies ever claim to have restored salivary function, and the impact of placebo effect is heavy in most of them.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Agree with the treatment veterans above. Saliva glands may recover from radiation enough to produce sufficent fluid. Pilocarpine can stimulate remaining cells. Current research will soon provide a clearer picture of the effect of gene therapy on individuals who have not had a return of saliva nor been helped by pilocarpine. Dry mouth is still a big problem for many.

Hx of stage IV non-oral cancer tx with radiation, chemo & surgery in 2005. Currently a research nurse with National Institutes of Health working on a clinical trial using gene therapy for radiation-induced xerostomia. [email protected]

David,
thank you so much.
as I understood there is nothing for that. but Carmen mentioned about drug which is called ' PILOCARPINE'. what is this? do you know?

Carmen, do you think my brother should use it.

thanks,

birkan

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I tried PILOCARPINE but I was not a good candidate for it. Every pore in my face and neck seemed to DRIP moisture - except of course for my saliva glands. I literally could have worn a towel around my neck. Not the desired result so we stopped use. Hope it works better for you.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

I took Salagen which is the generic for pilcarpine for two years and I believe it did help with my saliva production. I started taking it at the beginning of radiation to help prevent the destruction of my saliva glands. I was on 5mg 3-6 times a day. I would perspire heavily for about 5 minutes about 30 minutes after I took it. If it gets unbearable, cut back the dosage. I think I only took it 3 times a day after radiation but that was a long time ago so I don't remember whne I cut the dosage for certain. He might try it for a month or two and see if it helps.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
aussieh Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Very interesting posts here.

I will discuss with my dentist re Don's recommendation of using a sodium fluoride based product. Acupuncture is also something I will investigate - I guess it can't do any harm, even if it doesn't help with xerostomia.

Don, you are fortunate to have a local support group.

I wish my fellow members a healthy and peaceful new year.
Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

The Colgate Neutra Fluor Sodium Flouride toothpaste that Don is using is available over the counter at the pharmacy and also at the warehouse Discount Chemist Shops. (usually cheaper than buying it at the dentist)

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
aussieh Offline OP