Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

thanks for the heads up David, that is a good deal

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

jim,eric, hi its meanne here i had a partial glosectomy and neck dissection 7 days ago my diagnosis came at the exact time my inpatient and outpatient treatment for addiction to opiods was complete. i had enjoyed life for 130 days drugs free and then this scca came up like a kick in the ass. what to do? i knew i would have to start taking pain meds (opiods specifically) again. but how not to get hooked this time around. addiction is a very real disease and is nothing to be afraid of talking about with your medical teams about, becaue they will not bring it up. i am also a registered nurse and knew i was getting addicted when i was because i could not live without the pain meds vicodin,percocet specifically. i also loved the way they made me feel. when all of your waking hours (and sometimes your dreams too)are filled with thoughts of getting and having an ample supply are foremost in your mind you are probably already addicted. during your treatment is no time to start on a program. you must be at a place in your life that you can be completley free of any mind altering substances-this includes alchol. recovery is possible at the right time. iam just grateful that i have a very strong support group a faantastic sponsor and a husband wlling to give me my meds and not let me choose when to take them. i plan on beating this cancer and still have a strong recovery with my fellowshp in narcotics anonymous stronger than ever. i am not judging or diagnosing any one here just sharng my observations with my new family here at OCF

This is interesting to me and I hope someone see's this b/c this thread is a bit old.

I had my last partial glossectomy in February of 2009. I stopped the vicodin/percocet about 2 weeks after my surgery and that was not a problem. I had to stop b/c I went back to work. I still had an insane amount of pain so my family doc gave me Tramadol. It was like a miracle drug. It took away the pain and made me feel happy and much more patient. I've had some restless leg problems and noticed when I took the Tramadol the leg problems went away. I decided to stop taking it when my mouth pain subsided but my legs drove me CRAZY. I could not sit still and couldn't sleep. I did some reading up on the side effects and withdrawal symptoms and did not find restless leg. I went to the doc to ask about it and they said people actually Tramadol for restless leg so they saw no problem this. The pharmasist said the same thing so I guess I should feel ok.

Has anyone else taken Tramadol?

Last edited by suzanne98; 11-15-2009 07:18 PM.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Suzanne: I'm caregiver to my elderly mother who has Alzheimer's and chronic lower back pain. For awhile, the doctors prescribed Tramadol for her pain. I found some worrisome information about Tramadol on the web and, eventually, we stopped giving this to my mother. [She's now getting Vicodin and Fentanyl.] I suggest you search the web generally for Tramadol to find out more information. Good luck! Rob

Dx: T1N3M0 Stage IV SCC Left Tonsil HPV16+

CT 3/20/9. FNA 3/24/9. Panendoscopy 4/1/9. PET/CT 4/22/9
9 wk IC (TPF) 4/25/9. Port 5/11/9 removed 6/4/9 (clot)
7 wk CRT (IMRT; Carboplatin & Taxol) 7/8/9. PEG 7/9/9
CT 10/19/9. PET/CT 11/2/9. ND 12/1/9
6 wk CRT (IMRT; Erbitux, Carboplatin & Taxol) 1/6/10
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

I take Tramadol for my neck and shoulder injury which i am waiting surgery on.I may take it for a week or so and then not at all for days.I have had no problems with withdrawal symptoms,but i do get a little light headed and nauseous sometimes.It is a narcotic i believe,but shouldn't cause the same sort of problems as codeine or morphine ect.If you read the literarue that comes with the drug,it really is quite frightening,but then so is the literature associated with most nedication.i think its a case if you believe your symptoms are allied to Tramadol,then stop it and ask for an alternative.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Thank you both for your insight. I agree Liz, when you read that literature that comes with the medication it is scary. I wish my doc never gave it to me b/c I feel like I need it now and that scares me. On the other hand the pharmasist told me she takes it for restless leg and I only take 50mg once a day. She said it's such a small amount, not to worry. Also, I talked to 2 family docs at my practice and they both know how much I'm taking and for what and are both fine with it. I think I'm trying to make myself feel better but I know I would rather not take it at all.

And to further complicate things...I'm hoping to get pregnant in the near future and I obviously can't take it then. I don't know what I will do. Anyone who has restless leg knows how terrible it is. It is SO uncomfortable....

Rob....I know they say it is narcotic like but is not actually a narcotic...I think anyway.

Thanks again

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users