Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Also, please be sure to drink lots and lots of water. I found over time that I was less tolerant to spicy foods if I had not been drinking a lot of water.

I too have more problems with aspirating liquid than with solid food. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does, YOW!

This all takes longer than we want or think.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Lauren from LA, this is Dianne from NY. I also have begun dating again! I am able to eat soup, salads & pasta's dinning home or out. I had 6 esophogus dilation surgeries, I hope the rough salad keeps it open. At the last dilation (open to 17) the Dr. said I would probably need to be "stretched" every 3 months for life! Well, that was last Nov.!!! I'm eating OK! My ? to you is in re: to dating...How is kissing(I mean really kissing) w/dry mouth? Also, when is a good time to tell someone about the cancer? I joined match.com and have had a few good dates. But some I told via email, before we met...I never heard from again. I have turkey neck, & permanent discoloring in the front of my neck (that was not rad.) so I look like I have health issues.(eventhough I'm FINE) I'll take any & all advice!!! Thanks, Dianne

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***

Hey Lauren, Dianne again! About the spicy food..I know-eveything tastes hot to me. All I ever seem to ask is "does this taste hot to you?" At home I cook sooo bland @ restaurants I get the salad dressing on the side, so it's up to me how much to add. When ordered food is to spicy, I drink tons of water (w/no ice) so I could gulp it fast!!! Even toothpaste is hot! I am using Crest toothpaste "Cavity Protection" LOVE it, it's like a toothpaste "mousse" Also buy a INTERPLAK- I love that too. Even after I have brushed & rinsed my teeth, I can't believe how much debris still comes out! (gross right?) During Tx I could hardly stand the setting at 1, now I have it set all the way to 10. I'm in the same boat girlfriend! So many of us are. What a help to have people a "click" away that understand! This site is the best! Dianne

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
OP Offline

Hi Dianne,
I was in a relationship during my treatment. Obviously we stopped all sexual relations during treatment and the first few months after. It's funny, because when we resumed relations, we did not do a lot of kissing. And it was mostly because of the dry mouth. It didn't feel great to me. There were a couple of times when we did a few seconds of open mouth kissing, and that worked fine for the few seconds. I, too, am worried about how it is going to work with a new guy. I know for sure that my days of giving BJs are over. Ironic, since that's what caused the cancer in the first place. I do tell all the men about being a cancer survivor right away. In fact it is in my on line profile. So far it has not scared away anyone. I have been communicating with an oral cancer research scientist at U of Michigan who has assured me that I can not pass on HPV anymore. I can send you his email if you ever need to prove this to someone. As for salads, I am impressed that you can eat them. They really stick in my throat. But what do you mean about them keeping your throat open? I had two dilations this past May. I think I was at 12 or 15, I can't remember. He did not encourage me to eat salads. But I am doing various swallowing exercises every day. Do you do them? Is there a way to post a private reply? If so, I'd like to give you my number. It may be easier to talk on the phone. How old are you, by the way? I'm going to be 52 in two weeks.

OP Offline

Also, Dianne, if you can eat so well, why did you decide to keep the port?

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lauren,

I would be interested in seeing such an e mail.

[email protected]

Thanks

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Diane:
I was just catching up on some of the postings and while reading yours I was like WOW! So much sounds so familiar. I have been able the past few months handle a few more "Not so bland" items. And yes, Lauren, I have finally been able to eat a little bit of pepper on cottage cheese! I look at this as a real positive step in that direction.
Best wishes to all.
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

On a happy note, I have managed to work up to a little hot sauce on my eggs. Just a little, or it still burns like crazy. But I will get there.

Flip
No surgery, no PEG
Never smoked
Drink socially (brew my own beer and love wine. A bottle of scotch lasts me a couple of years)
CT 11/4/09 No sign of envolvement in Tonsil or nodes

I had some Thai curry the other day.... I won't again for a while. smile

I am running into the same, 1 month out of treatments and every thing is hot.

I was taking zinc to get tastebuds back and suddenly I am able to taste Stevia natural sweetner. Up until last week I knew when things were sweet but I could not really taste honey or sugar or artificial sweetners. I got just the essence. So glad for Stevia.

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10

I pass a Thai restaurant almost every day. I just haven't worked up the courage yet. SOON. Indian too.

Flip
No surgery, no PEG
Never smoked
Drink socially (brew my own beer and love wine. A bottle of scotch lasts me a couple of years)
CT 11/4/09 No sign of envolvement in Tonsil or nodes
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37