Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jeffrey Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote]Originally posted by Mark:
Jeffery, That is the attitude!

And remember to wear a life jacket! I don't want you messing up the statistics. laugh

P.S. any time you need company chasing Tarpon you Just let me know.
[/quote]Hi Mark,

Funny you should mention the life jacket. A friend of mine at the gym told me a story of his friend who was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. He was given 6-8 months to live. The doctors wanted him to have surgery and undergo chemo. He elected not to do anything and just "party" the remainder of his life. Seven years later he's drunk in Vienna and drowns in one of their canals.

Haven't chased any tarpon, although that sounds like a good idea -- guys/gals are catching them right in the intercoastal just off of 17th street. I was in Costa Rica in February. I was hoping to catch a marlin but settled for a boatload of sails -- all catch and release, of course. Caught a few dorados (mahi mahi) as well. They were fillet and release.

Brian, as for the previously mentioned scans; while researching the effectiveness of CT Scans, MRIs, and fine needle aspirations, I discovered that CT Scans have a 69% accuracy rate, and MRIs and Needle Biops have an 85% accuracy rate. Why was it that I was looking for this? Because I had a CT Scan and two needle biopsies which indicated a benign tumor in my neck. The doctors kept "poo pooing" my predictament until I raised the bullshit flag and told them to cut it out. A 2 hour surgery turned into 6 1/2 hours and a declaration that the tumor was malignant. Go figure. There's always that human element to factor in.

Reborn June 27, 2001
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

While doctors hate to hear this, sometimes we know our bodies better than a scanning machine. It may sound new age, voodoo, or whatever, but I know when something isn't right in me, and I don't care what their damn machines and test say. This isn't hypochondria. I kept telling the doctors before my diagnosis that that lump in my neck didn't hurt. I knew that was not an infection. A swollen node from and infection is tender to the touch, I could flick this thing with my finger and not a bit of pain. More of the pooh pooh routine, and another 2 weeks wasted on antibiotics...till a FNB found malignant cells in that node. Hey all you doctors out there...just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean something isn't really out to get me!!!

Digtexas: As to the life insurance...I thought at five years out I would be able to get a small policy... think again. No one would touch me, not at any cost. God help me if I lose my crumby Blue Cross who I had to fight with daily during my illness because I went out of state for treatment. I'd never get another health insurance policy. They've upped my rates since all this, and the premiums are almost the same as my house payment!!! But if I don't keep it active...who else will take me on?

Donnajean: It has taken me fifty years to learn not to worry about the future. It is still a hard fight to live in each day that I am in fully. You waste too much of the present worrying about a future that you can likely not control anyway. My 5-year anniversary came and went, and it wasn't until Ingrid reminded me that I had passed a milestone that I thought about it. Perhaps this shows some success at my ability to live in the present, on the other hand it just may mean that I'm now of the age where those "senior moments" where you forget what the hell you were doing are occurring more frequently.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Jeffrey Offline OP
OP Offline

There are obviously, to us anyway, myriad unresolved issues pertaining to our health care system. Unfortunately, it seems it all boils down to money. When times are good we sweep everything under the carpet. When times are bad we pawn the carpet and incredulously stare at the dirt.

On a brighter note, this is a fantastic website! Thank you Brian. Information is key to understanding.

Reborn June 27, 2001
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jeffrey,
I like your attitude. It must be that pilot thing.

Brian, I actually do have life insurance, health insurance, and, thank goodness, even disability insurance. Blue Cross of Texas has been not too bad. They all need a little butt kicking from time to time to keep them in line.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
Jeffrey Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote]Originally posted by digtexas:
Jeffrey,
I like your attitude. It must be that pilot thing.

Brian, I actually do have life insurance, health insurance, and, thank goodness, even disability insurance. Blue Cross of Texas has been not too bad. They all need a little butt kicking from time to time to keep them in line.

Danny G.
[/quote]Double ditto on the disability insurance Danny. It truly is a life saver.

Jeff wink

Reborn June 27, 2001
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Jeff... I like the metaphor, I think I will steal it and use it in one of my presentations. (They say theft is the sincerest form of flattery...) Your profile doesn

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Jeffrey,
I cannot recall if it was during or after radiation treatment, but during the time that I was sick, could hardly talk and felt like crap, I got a call from Met Life ( Snoopy administers my disability policies ) telling me that one of their representatives would be in my area soon and would like to meet me. I was thinking... its not like I am claiming a bad back or depression or carpal tunnel syndrome...I've got friggin cancer...and you are sending some dude who travels America to look me over.

Well, being a lawyer myself, I called one of my former partners who handles cases against insurance companies and from that moment on he did all the talking and we told the investigator or whatever he was to meet me at my lawyer's office. I also had the fellow who sold me the policy, with whom I'd grown up, to be present.

Smiling faces sell you the policies, but when you make a claim you get to meet some bulldog whose mission in life is to hold down the cost of payouts by the insurance company. They are still paying me, but are beginning to make rumblings that I should be able to work more, etc. I am fortunate that I can let my lawyer do the talking.

Danny G.

Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
Jeffrey Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow, flying in a P-51 must have been quite an experience! What an awesome time you must have had. Not too shabby in a Pitts either. A good way to cage your eyeballs, lol. I got to fly in an A26 Invader one time in Lubbock. That was quite an experience.

Yes, I have an ATP and fly/flew/will fly again for Continental. But not yet. I'm on the 737 out of Newark or was anyway. Hopefully when I'm ready to come back there will be a company to come back to. This is a scary industry especially if you're in a Southwest cockpit these days, LOL.

As for the metaphor, go for it. But if they don't like it, no blaming it on me, lol.

Reborn June 27, 2001
Jeffrey Offline OP
OP Offline

I know exactly what you mean Danny! I get a phone call every 6 months. Nothing adversarial, of course, but it is annoying. In January I received a call but this time from a different person.

During the course of our "routine" conversation I began to detect some hostility. I asked him if something was bothering him and he said no. So then I asked him where the guy that usually calls me was and he started himming and hawing. He said this guy was sick. I said what do you mean sick, like as in the flu? He said no that this guy has cancer. It was then I realized this guy was actually hating having to make the phone call in the first place. He told me he wished me the best. I told him I'd be talking to him in six months. I actually hung up the phone feeling sorry for him. confused

Reborn June 27, 2001

Jeffrey,
Your situation regarding disability may be more clear cut than mine. Are you not allowed by the airlines to fly? I am allowed to go into court and try a jury trial...but at this point with my low level of stamina, concentration, and over all strength,not to mention eating difficulties, I don't think there is any way that I could perform at the level that I would expect of myself, especially with someone's freedom at stake.

Danny G.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics