Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks for all the kind words/support. I won't know my exact next course for surgery or treatment until I see my ENT tomorrow at 7am.

I emailed two coworkers yesterday who had known I was gping for the biopsy. One is an oral cancer survivor and he gave me hug this morning. The other is a good friend and he brought me a box of cookies. smile

I am thankful for the support of my friends, family, and this forum. And also relieved to hear radiation is not the end of the world. How do I find out if my oncologist is with a CCC? I've been seeing one at the U of A radiation oncology department.

I'll keep you all posted after tomorrow's followup with the ENT.

Thanks again.

9.29.08: Dx @ 24 w/ T2 SCC, tongue
10.14.08: Partial gloss. & r. neck dissection. Margins/nodes all clear. No HPV. No rad.
10.06.09: Recurrence in l. lymphnode
11.16.09: L. neck dissection + lost nerve XII
12.28.09: 33xIMRT w/ concurrent 3xCisplatin (no PEG)
02.15.10: Done with treatment!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jen- so sorry to hear of this news frown Hoping you make a quick and full recovery. Hang in there and be strong during this time. I know it is difficult. You are young and strong and that gives you an advantage in the fight.

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Am so sorry to hear your news and that you will probably have to have horrible radiotherapy, but it is effective and the side effects do pass.

Very best wishes,

Cathy

Jen, I feel so bad for you at your age, but there is no age limit for us and we just have to bear down and fight it as best we can. Rads aren't anything nasty, not great either, but necessary to fight this disease. You might lose some taste and all foods might taste the same for awhile, bt at least you will be alive and have something to look forward to. I pray that what you go thru this time will be a permanent cure for you. Keep us posted. Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Jen

It is with a sad heart that I welcome you to the "I couldn't even make it a year" club. It is a terrible feeling for those of us who were on the cusp of the magic one year mark when most recurrences happen to get so close, then find the cancer is back.
Radiation is not as bad as surgery in my opinion, having had both (radiation twice and surgery all at once)and some posters sailed right through it. As for your cooking and culinary concerns, just remember that the super celebrity chef, Grant Achatz is back as good as ever after radiation; Here is a blurb from his new book coming out:[quote]
But this book is not a book solely about cancer, mortality, or how I have changed my life because I survived stage IVb cancer. It won�t tell you the best way to eat, sleep, exercise, or find doctors to beat cancer � though I do have serious thoughts about the process. Instead, this book is about how that knowledge informed me that I didn�t have to change my life much at all. I spend more time with my kids, I make more time for myself. But on the whole, I am doing what I did before I nearly died: cooking at Alinea, creating new cuisine, and pushing the boundaries of fine dining. Life On The Line is the story of the journey to that moment on stage in New York. From a diner in Michigan, through the Culinary institute of America, to some of the finest kitchens in America, this is my story of a passionate desire to be the best. It is a love affair with cooking, creativity, and the rigors and routines of a professional kitchen.

It is at times a business book, at times an inside portrait of the culinary world, and at times a cancer survival story. [/quote]

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Today's update -
I met with my ENT this morning. He said I would get a PETCT, then a left neck dissection, and then most likely radiation. It all depends on the results of scans/surgery/consultations over the next few weeks. The PETCT place called at 5:45 today leaving me a voicemail that they close at 5:30 (what?) and to call them tomorrow to schedule a scan for first thing next week. The hospital called to schedule my consultation with my surgeon for the 20th. I've decided to return to the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix for this round of surgery, as they do 1-2 of these surgeries a week and my ENT says he usually does about 5 a year. After all of that I'll meet with my oncologist for the next plan of attack. At this point I'm just hoping to be home from surgery in time for Halloween. I think the fresh left neck scar and faded right neck scar would make a pretty awesome/scary Halloween costume. Ha!

Thanks to David for the CCC link. It turns out my oncologist is associated with the only CCC in Arizona. Go figure! That makes me feel a whole lot better about how this will all turn out.

Thanks to Charm for the book recommendation. That guy's story sounds awesome and would be a real encouragement during this time. I'll have to pick up a copy as soon as it comes out. smile

10.14.08: Partial gloss. & r. neck dissection. Margins/nodes all clear. No HPV. No rad.

Jen

good luck. Smart move to go to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale for the surgery . While you are there , why not ask about their thoughts of adding some chemo with the radiation for your UofAZ doc to consider. PS. that chef Grant Achatz also had cancer of the tongue and you can google him to see the video of his Oprah appearance and other stories while waiting for the book to come out. He's only 10 years older than you so let's hope his experiences at recovery will be yours rather than the trouble some of us old folk here encountered

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-09-2009 07:26 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jen, i'm sorry you have to go through this again. Radiation is tough, but you have no choice. It's part of a plan to get better, and it has an end date, which is a big deal psychologically.

38 yo@dx, female, non-smoker, non-drinker, SCC right lateral tongue. T2N2aMx stage IVa; 1/20/09 bilateral neck dissection, hemiglossectomy, micromets in 2 right nodes, left all clear. 33xIMRT + 3 cisplatins. Tx completed 5/08/09. PET scan 7/29/09 clear, 5/26/10 clear, chest x-ray 5/23/11 clear
OP Offline

Another update - I got the results of the PET scan. The only spot that lit up was my left submandibular gland. Horay! I told my husband that was the best bad news I could have gotten. I meet with the surgeon on Tuesday to discuss upcoming surgery/radiation plans.

I think my biggest fear at this point is catching the flu and having to postpone surgery. I just found out yesterday that three people I work pretty closely with are out with H1N1. My husband was sick earlier this week with some other flu strain. I'm trying hard to wash my hands a lot, but it's still a big concern.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users