Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
marma Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

It's usually red chili powder. Paprika will usually indicate if it is spicy on the label, I use it as the substitute for chili powder in recipes I make for people who prefer less spice. I sent some to India last month and my FIL is really happy to have it.

I didn't realize how important chili powder was until I was until I tried to skip it and have found paprika to be an OK alternative. Paprika is made from bell pepper.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

On the ethnic topic:
Here are sone ideas
I have been preparing some of the traditional Rosh HaShonah foods today. I am now waiting for a beef tongue,fresh-not pickled, to finish cooking. This is one of those love it or hide it from me foods and is eaten at this holiday to remind us that many of sins we ask forgiveness for are committed with the tongue which can also be used to pray and praise G-d. If cooked enough it is very sweet and soft. Many people serve it with a raisin sauce.
I also made tzimmes - a combination of carrots and potatoes. There are many recipes for this but all stress the sweetness and include carrots. I used baby carrots, yellow and white yams and white potatoes all cut up with some onion, a little orange juice, a bit of cinnamon and very little honey. This was covered with water and baked very slowly until it was fairly soft. For real eating difficulties it can nbe mashed after cooking. For more calories add honey and butter or margarine.
For the first time in a long while I made fruit compote. This is very easy, a great source of fiber and great for "regularity problems." Put assorted dry fruits such as apricots, peaches, apples, pears, prunes, currants, and dark and yellow raisins in a pot. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a bit of ginger if desired. Add about 1/4 cut lemon per qt. Cover with water, bring to a boil and then remove from the stove. When cooled put in refrigerator. This can last for months so I usually make a big batch and share with family and friends. I like a teaspoon or two with the Rosh HaShonah honey cake, pound cake or sponge cake and a nice cup of tea after a big holiday meal or for breakfast.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Malka, your home must smell heavenly with the pot of cooking dried fruits on your stove! What year is this now for the Jewish calendar? I think 5,000-something? Thanks and a blessed Rosh HaShonah! Jane : )

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)

My doctor at UCLA is doing research on tumeric at the VA Center. It has successfully shrunk head and neck tumors in rats. She is now working on ways to get it to people. So definitely use tumeric and curry in cooking. You can also take tumeric supplements.

marma Offline OP
OP Offline

Lauren,

Good turmeric is difficult to come by even in some parts of India. If the color is even a little bit brownish and not an intensely vibrant orange-yellow, this is not considered to be good turmeric in India. ALl of the capsules I have seen appear to have the dull-colored, poorer quality, turmeric. WOmen in India go to see the turmeric root grinded themselves to ensure it has not been modified. It would not surprise me in the least if these supplements are of the modified poor quality as Indian businesses are known to take shortcuts where they can get away with it.

Last edited by marma; 11-01-2009 08:09 AM.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics