Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103306 09-10-2009 11:52 PM
cjack Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband is into the 4th week of his second course of chemo (three more to go!). This week he is also receiving 5-fu. He is on a portable pump which is hooked into his port 24/7 for 5 days. The 5-fu IV bag is replaced daily. His rbc is at an all time low and needless to say � he is feeling exhausted. About 7 hours into the treatment he noticed the IV bag felt very heavy and realized his pump was not working� he hadn�t received any chemo for several hours. I was able to get through to the nurse on call who provided the tech support�turned out it was the battery and we were able to replace. He is sleeping like a baby now as the chemo is slowly but surely pumping away.
I thought we had both adapted to this whole treatment process and it would take a lot to worry us. Wrong! It was only a brief delay but the fear and anxiety was back in a flash.

Base of tongue spread to 2 lymph nodes.stg?? Dx 5/5/09 peg
Tx started with 35 rad, 7 weeks cisplatin, 2 weeks 5-fu.
completed second course of tx with reduced dose of cisplatin &
5-fu. All clear
Post radiation swallowing difficulties 12 years later
cjack Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband made it through what we hope is the final 5-fu treatment without further incident. I realized how important it is to have a responsive treatment team. This incident happened in the evening after I returned from work. (does a crisis ever occur between 9-5?). Within minutes I was in touch with the on-call nurse who helped us to identify/fix what turned out to be a minor problem. I searched through the topics on this site and I haven't seen much written about 5-fu. My husband's thrush has returned and I suspect it's the 5-fu. Any ideas?

5-fu. All clear
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

cjack, I am sorry a reply was not sooner.

My husband had the same as your husband 5-FU pump 24/7 for 5 days with the Cisplatin. He had two rounds of this as well.
We also had crisis occurrences with the pump.

The first round had the pump alarming several times throughout the 5 days. Emergency pic flushes fixed those.
The second round had the usual 5-FU pump alarming incidents with an added fiasco.
The pump fell in the bathtub while my husband was soaking his miserably constipated body and associated hemorrhoids. (Thanks to those pain meds!) They gave him a new pump the next day.

I can speak lightly of this now, 3 years later, but it was total panic and chaos at the time.

Checking his records for the thrush tie in, I found 16 days after the first round he was diagnosed with thrush. After the second round he had white patches like thrush again, but that time the RO stated it was mucusitis, not thrush.

Ginny, spouse of MikeG. SSC BOT T2N1M0 Stage III, Dx 06/27/06 at age 52, Tx 07/31/06 through 09/28/06 Chemo Cisplatin & 5FU x2, Radiation x42. Cancer free and doing well.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Cjack and welcome to OCF. You may have others posts out there but this is the first I saw. I know there are a lot of people who have experienced thrush. I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdome. I wish you luck and congrats on being almost done treatments. I always have a lot of respect for you caregivers!!!

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
cjack Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for taking the time to go back and check your records. It really helps to know that someone else has been through this It normalizes what is such an "out of the norm" experience. Family and friends mean well but I don't think their kind words mean the same as those expressed by someone who has either seen or experienced this illness and it's treatment. Dan was at the dr. today and the anti-fungal is finally doing it's magic. Once that clears up he gets to finish up his last 2 chemos. Something to dread yet look forward to at the same.

5-fu. All clear
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I'm glad to hear the anti-fungal med is working.

Best wishes to both of you on the upcoming treatments.
We'll be here for you as you continue through this journey of the "new normal".

Ginny, spouse of MikeG. SSC BOT T2N1M0 Stage III, Dx 06/27/06 at age 52, Tx 07/31/06 through 09/28/06 Chemo Cisplatin & 5FU x2, Radiation x42. Cancer free and doing well.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My husband had induction chemo with cisplatin, 5-FU and taxotore (sp?). We had no malfunctions but he got thrush within a week of the treatment the first time. Armed with anti-fungal meds, the second round was easier but no picnic. I don't think anyone who hasn't had dozens (or more) mouth sores, thrush and mucusitis can possibly understand what it's like to have them!

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics