Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lena Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm helping my friend who doesn't speak English. She is 34 years old, had a very serious surgery on her tongue 2/3 of her tongue was removed) and now she is going through radiation treatment. Here are her questions :
Every time when she drinks water after swallowing little part of water is staying in mouth and she cannot swallow it and she has to just spit it up.
Why is it?
Is it better to learn how to eat by mouth when tubes are still going from nose to the stomach and then remove the tubes?
Is it OK to have the tongue sideways to eat by mouth?
Is the tongue changed and become more flat and flexible, increased size after years?
What kind tubes are better to have? What kind materials it was made of and diameter? How often do you change your tubes? Can it cost any problems with his stomach, gullet, thought, bedsores, infection? Is it dangerous to use tubes for a long time?

Last edited by Lena; 09-08-2009 07:43 AM.
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Lena

Sorry to hear you friend is having to go through this. Your friend needs to speak to a professional about her swallowing. The hospital that she was treated at should direct her to a speech therapist.

They will supervise her ability to swallow, and they might give her a "swallowing test".

What one person does IS NOT suitable to the next person. She could cause more damage by not following advice from a professional person. They will also give her correct information regarding her feeding tube.

Contacting the hospital for a referral to a speech therapist would DEFINITELY be the best way to go.

Does her hospital have interpreters? They have them at the ones that I have attended.

Karen

Last edited by Karen Rose; 09-08-2009 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot something

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
Lena Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, Karen!
Unfortunately, my friend is having treatment in Kazan and Yoshkar-Ola , Russia and they didn't offer any of rehabilitation therapy. Here her original diagnose : T3NxMO. It is very difficult, they only say: "You have to learn how to eat", but didn't say how. I guess they just don't know how to help people with tongue cancer like my friend. She needs help so much. Since her surgery was on July 3 2009 she learn how to speak but eating problems make her very unhappy. So I will appreciate any good swallow exercises or just suggestions for her. Thank you again!

Last edited by Lena; 09-10-2009 07:17 AM.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Lena

It would be very irresponsible of me not to say that your friend really needs to try to get an appointment with someone who is experienced and educated as a therapist at the hospital that she was treated or alternatively at another hospital where they have someone who is trained as a therapist.

Swallowing can be a very difficult process, there are so many muscles and also nerves involved, and if not done correctly fluid could end up in her airways/lungs instead of her stomach, which could cause choking or pneumonia.

I certainly do not want to alarm you, but that is why it is so important that she is supervised.

Is there a nurse or a local doctor who can help?

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Tell her to practice swallowing as much as possible. I did this right after surgery and kept it up throught the process, I could even swallow pills within a few hours, but with a degree of difficulty. tell her anything that goes in her mouth that is something that needs swallowed, to jus go for it no matter the pain or cost to her throat. It's just like working out an injury by working thru it. It's like the little train that could. I know I can, I know I can, I know I can and soon she can.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Lena Offline OP
OP Offline

Karen! I told my friend our advise and as soon as she can we will try for her to make an appointment here in USA with a good doctor. But for right now professional therapy is not possible, she asked many doctors but they don't have the therapy.

Lena Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for respond and advices! She is trying and she is making some progress. I hope very soon she can start to swallow more and more. She is afraid to remove her tubes from mouth to stomach till she learn how to eat even her doctors tell her that she doesn't need tubes any more. She is afraid to lose even more of her body weight.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am not giving advise here but only telling my situation in case it will help you .
I had some of my tongue removed; positive nodes taken out of the neck and then chemoradiation; which ended 07/09/09.

I had a stomach tube put in because it was too painful to eat and the chemorads made ensure taste horrible. Its about 0.5 cm diameter. After treatment at first I could not even swallow my spit. Then I could sip small amounts of clear liquid. I saw a speech therapist who gave me tongue exercises. My tongue is partly sidways but not totally sideways. After no improvement in swallowing in a month the therapist did a barium swallow study and concluded that my upper esophageal sphincter was not opening: this is pulled open by the adams apple when one swallows. She gave me exercises for this and told me to try swallowing soft moist foods and cream soups. Her suggestion was based on the fact that nothing was going down my airway when I swallowed during the study. Its been about a month of this and no great progress yet.

----------
scc tongue, 2 pos nodes, surgeries 12/08, 5/09, chemorads 6/09

Hello to everyone. I had my tongue surgery this March 2nd, where about 90% of my tongue was removed, replaced with a flap from my front left thigh and permanently anchored to the floor of my mouth. It's now a little over 3 months since completing my chemo (3 sessions, cisplatin) and radiation (30 sessions) therapies and it was just recently that I am able to drink water/liquids from a glass and able to sip through a straw. I am still on PEG and my challenge now is being able to eat solid or even soft food: since my tongue flap is anchored to the floor of my mouth, I could only chew food between my teeth but obviously could not manage to control the movement of food in my mouth. If anyone has the same or very similar tongue flap surgery as I had, I would appreciate any tip you could give on eating solid food. I miss eating. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Diagnosed: 16Feb'09
Pre-op Dx: Tongue SCCA Stage IVB (T4N2cM0)
Opn: 2Mar'09. Total glossectomy, Neck dissection (Levels I-V), bilateral; Anterolateral, Thigh flap recon'n; Tracheostomy; PEG
Decanullation: 24Mar'09
IMRT x30, concurrent with chemo (cisplatin) x3: May-Jun '09
PEG out: 23Oct'09
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had a partial glosectomy on November 11th with a forearm flap reconstruction. I had about 40% of my tongue removed. About how long before I have acheived the best I am going to be regarding my speech and eating. Some story's I read the people seem to have no long lasting effects. My speech is horrible and I can't eat very well at all.I know its only been a month but I guess I would like to have an idea of the length of time it will take to relearn this stuff

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics