Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1018 04-17-2003 10:02 AM
OP Offline

Today is 6 weeks post radiation for scc left tonsil and mets to 3 neck nodes. I had a tonsillectomy/radical neck 12/20/02. I thought if I could survive radiation I could do anything, now I am this tired zombie, spending most of the time snoozing on the couch with no ambition. The guilt is getting to me. I have returned to work for 2 days last week for 5 hours and did ok (pediatric office nurse)but when I'm home it's like I'm this blah blob of plasma with no energy. I am not eating much, using my PEG tube. I can finally swallow but still painful. I have got down some soup and fruit cocktail but only small bites and not really interested. Am I expecting to much to soon or should I push myself. I do have depression and have been on meds for years.
this lack of ambition does not feel like clinical depression to me but.... Pre cancer I was a gogogo
hyper person, not I am the opposite. How long does the tiredness last and why does it cause this extreme fatigue? I do go to PT once or twice a week.

51 year old with SCC of left tonsil with mets to 3 lymphs, 6 week radiation to both sides of neck
finished radiation March 5th, 2003 eek confused shocked

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Kathy,
Give yourself a break. At 6 weeks out I was still a mess and hardly working at all. I mostly sat in my easy chair and read books or watched TV, made brief trips to the office occasionally to read mail, and took a daily walk. Other than a few errands that was it. As you said, radiation is very strong stuff and it definitely takes it out of you.
I am now 7 months out of radiation and I still don't have near the energy that I used to and still don't work full time. For one thing when you cannot really swallow food and have to depend on the PEG, there is no way to get enough nutrition to be high energy. I still have mine and use it about once a day. However many people do get rid of theirs a lot sooner than I have.
So, no need for guilt. This is your time to convalesce. Work when you have to or really want to. You will feel better in time.

Take care,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Kathy, I think what you are feeling is quite normal. It has been mentioned in this forum that it takes 1 month of healing for every week of radiation you receive. And I remember my husband being extremely tired and lethargic for a good 2 months I would say after his radiation treatment ended in November 2002. Granted some days were better than others - but even to this day, he has days were he pretty much sleeps the day away. He does go swimmng (therapy) and that seems to revitalize him.....but I can tell you from what I have observed - the tiredness is common and to be expected. Also, my husband had a very hard time with solids for awhile - and still has a problem with some foods - but overall, is making progress. It takes a LOT of time for your body to heal itself....so give it time. But if at any time, anything seems particularily "weird" or not right to you - please don't hesitate to talk to your doctor(s) about it. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

DonnaJean
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Kathy,
I am 5 weeks post radiation/chemo and I am amazed at what you're doing. I spend most of my time in bed.

Gary

55 yr old, SCC, right tonsil

Finished radiation March 20

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23