Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
stumble #102209 08-24-2009 06:11 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

stumble

sorry that the seltzer exceeded his pain threshold. Like EZJim, I just routinely did things that hurt to deal with choking etc.
It did help that I got major pain meds, including the fentanyl patches and if your husband has extensive mouth sores, I hope they are treating his pain properly. I did have to switch pharmacies once I quit using the hospital's as Safeway's "corporate" policies limited their ability to fill my opiate scripts of 100 or 200. Don't worry about that old doctor's tale of becoming addicted, with cancer pain not really an issue.
finally, ask your doctor and hospital about prescribing a home suction machine. the way mine worked is there is a one time delivery & rental fee, then it was a very low monthly rate, almost everthing covered by insurance. It actually worked better than the hospital's, with a mini-engine and plugs right into any outlet.
good luck

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Charm2017 #102211 08-24-2009 06:22 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Stumble & cjack,

I believe I have heard others say that you can rent those suction machines.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
stumble #102212 08-24-2009 06:23 AM

Stumble

Oops forgot to comment on your husband's refusal to get a PEG.
I was just as stubborn my first time around but did continue to force Ensures down. I even restarted the PEG wars on this board when I joined and warned PEG users they would forget how to swallow in the new normal. Instant Karma as the salvage surgery for the recurrence required a PEG when I failed the Barium Swallow Test. Unfortunately, in this case, from your description, a PEG may actually be the best for him. Once I got mine in, it wasn't so bad. A Peg meant admitting that I was really sick when I was adamant that only being "positive" about being "healthy" would get me through.
But if he needs an IV, he should rethink it. I never once had to be hydrated or get any IV except the chemo so not getting a PEG the first time around worked for me.
He needs to swallow liquid or solid food or else get a PEG.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Donna MFS #102230 08-24-2009 11:03 AM
cjack Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to all- I read your responses to my husband Dan and he promised to try and swallow something every day- he started with good old chicken soup which seemed to break it up and help him to swallow. He agreed that a little burning sensation was a small price to pay for relief. We ran out and got some seltzer water too! He plans on trying that later this week. I think all of these ideas give him hope and the extra push he needs to keep moving forward. I also reminded him of where he's been--although recovery has been slow he is sleeping with one less pillow to prop him up...it's funny how you measure progress with this disease!

Base of tongue spread to 2 lymph nodes.stg?? Dx 5/5/09 peg
Tx started with 35 rad, 7 weeks cisplatin, 2 weeks 5-fu.
completed second course of tx with reduced dose of cisplatin &
5-fu. All clear
Post radiation swallowing difficulties 12 years later
cjack #102307 08-25-2009 08:33 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

It amazes me that Phlegm has 2 silent letters in it. Think we should spell it Flem. The P & silent H & G could then mean Please Hell Go.....

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
Jeanna F #102620 08-29-2009 03:26 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

cjack,
All of these wonderful posters are giving you great info. Unfortunatly, what works for one person doesn't always work for another.
Radiation damages the saliva glands. Saliva is composed of two types of secretions serous and mucous. Radiation wastes the serous secreting component of the glands worse than the mucous part. So, saliva gets thicker and more sticky "phlegm like" and less runny and "water like".

Keeping hydrated is helpful, using a humidifier in the room he sleeps in may help, keeping some water by the bedside may help, drinking water prior to trying to eat will help lubricate the mouth, lemon drops can help stimulate saliva flow (lemon may hurt the sores), drugs like salagen help some people, and saliva substitutes can also help.

Mouth sores are nasty and hurt a lot. Magic mouthwash is good. Biotene has an enzymatic nouthrinse that helps many of my patients. Using toothpaste that does not contain "SLS" can reduce the incidence of mouth sores as SLS can encourage sores to appear. Closys toothpaste (available at Walgreens) does not contain SLS and there are other toothpastes available that do not contain SLS ask your pharmacist. (SLS is sometimes on the label as sodium lauryl sulfate, or SDS sodium dodecyl sulfate)

"Thrush" is a fungus, candida albicans, that is part of the normal flora of the mouth and can be an opportunistic infection that occurs when the conditions are right. This needs to be treated with antifugals such as nystatin oral suspension or diflucan.

Saliva glands can regenerate in some people.
Excessive phlegm, mouth sores and thrush all at the same time is a monumental problem but, it can be overcome with proper treatment and perserverance. Talk to your Docs.
I hope this helps a little.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Dr. Mike #103008 09-05-2009 10:02 AM
cjack Offline OP
OP Offline

your info helped a lot- thanks so much

Base of tongue spread to 2 lymph nodes.stg?? Dx 5/5/09 peg
Tx started with 35 rad, 7 weeks cisplatin, 2 weeks 5-fu.
completed second course of tx with reduced dose of cisplatin &
5-fu. All clear
Post radiation swallowing difficulties 12 years later
Dr. Mike #103024 09-05-2009 03:55 PM

I have written before about excessive mucus, and now that others are mentioning it, I would like to reply. I had my tonsils removed in November 2007; squamous-cell cancer was found underneath. I had 7 weeks of radiation with one day a week chemo. That ended in January 2008. During, after treatments, and today I still have excessive mucus. I had a feeding tube during and after my treatments, but had it removed because it became infected. I managed to drink Boost and Ensure, and could swallow some liquids. I have had my esophagus stretched three times, which helps with swallowing. Now, after almost TWO YEARS, I still have the mucus. At first, it had a very salty taste. I haven't heard of others mentioning a "taste" associated with musus. Now, since about 6-months ago, it has changed to a very putrid sweet (snotty, yuk) taste which makes me have no appetite and get nauseous when I smell food. I hate to use such a bad definition, but that describes it exactly. It's really sickening. Nevertheless, I have been to every doctor I have and they all say the mucus is from the radiation, and the taste from nerve damage that transmits taste signals to the brain. Some of the doctors say the sweet taste is very uncommon but others have had it. I went to a neurologist last week who prescribed a medicine that might alter the taste away from sweet. I am going to try it. What I would like to know from you guys is if anyone has experienced the "sweet" (I won't use the other word) taste? I have even had my doctor check me for diabetes and other non-related to radiation ailments. Thanks for your replys. I haven't learned yet how to put my information below my comments, but I am a "young" recently retired 71-year-old technical writer who used to be in good shape, but now I'm struggling to gain weight.

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
julieann #103038 09-06-2009 04:46 AM

Julieann, I think we all have the taste, just never mention it.As i sit here typing this I am choking on the thick goo in my thoat.It doesn't cough up or out and won't go down, so you just keep coughing and choking until it eases just a little. Coffee or water doesn't move it either.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
cjack #103043 09-06-2009 06:39 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My doctor wrote a prescription for an in-home suction machine to help clear my mouth of the excessive phlegm/saliva. My insurance paid for it and had it delivered right to my house and then picked it back up when I was finished with it. I used it for several months. I would also keep a glass of Ginger Ale or 7-UP on my nightstand to help clean the suction straw. After I would suction my mouth, I would then dip the end of the suction straw into the glass and the carbonation would help flush the phlegm through the tube. I would highly recommend everyone to get a suction machine!

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users