Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101042 08-07-2009 06:01 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

For my final 8 treatments they will give me the "boost" directed more towards the areas that I had the tumors removed. I have this small lump on the right side of my neck very similar to the one that was removed. I have had it looked at by 3 doc's (my RO, his partner and my ENT) also his nurse who has been with him for 24 years and they all think it is just swelling by my corrated and that its nothing to worry about...I am still worrying since its been there for 2 weeks now. Anyways only 8 treatments left and yes David I am in that damn tunnel you always talk about. I find myself laying in bed pretty much the good portion of the day and of course thru out the night. I am really having a hard time keeping anything down. All the built up mucuous from the night laying in my throat is making me very nausious, I thru up 3 times yesterday morning which in turn made my throat so irritated water burned like hell. Needless to say I struggled yesterday getting my calories and water down. Hopefully today will be a little better and I can play catch up. My RO keeps asking me if I want to take a break! I keep telling him NO I want thru this ASAP, I will have a break in 11 days...for good hopefully! Other than the nausea I guess everything else is about the same! Just gonna take it easy and ride out the next couple weeks in bed hanging out with my dog! lol! All I can say is Thank GOD its football season so I have something to watch now! GO EAGLES!!!!!! Have a great weekend!

30 yr old M non-smoker (stuborn ass italian)
SCC left side Tongue 2/17/09, Partial Gloss. 2/25/09
Left ND 5/20/09 10 nodes, 1 pos (1.7cm w/xtra cap spread)
Finished Rads IMRT X 33 8/18/09 (70gy)No PEG, No Chemo
"On the long road to recovery 1 step at a time"
wfc Offline

Jim,

Hang in there it will get better. I am 6 weeks out and after the third week, I "came out of the tunnel". I am still tired on some days and I move a little slower than before, but I keep taking one day at a time. Whenever I start to get angry about being tired, I say to myself, "hey, six weeks ago you were laying on a rad table getting cooked"
Better times are ahead. If you really want to cheer up, watch the Steelers, not the Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best of luck to you!

WFC

Age 57 at dx on 3/30/2009 by Dentist
SCC of R tonsil S2 Poorly Differentiated - 2.5 cm
Rad - IMRT 5x a wk for 8 wks starting 5/4/2009
No Chemo
Last Rad treatment was 6/26/2009.
Two years down as of 3/30/2011!
God bless all affected by this monster called cancer!
wfc #101050 08-07-2009 06:52 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Jim,

I know you dread hearing from me....but get over it as my lovely, caring sometimes nurse from hell wife used to say. lol

Remember I told you that you can't not get the daily calories and water expecting to make them up tomorrow because tomorrow never comes? Well let this serve as a reminder as I speak from vast experience in that "I'll make it up tomorrow" department. I NEVER as in NEVER made up the next day what I missed the day before and if you think it's bad now, just make it tougher on your body by depriving it of the fuel and water it needs now more than ever. Your body will respond by becoming dehydrated which brings on the Big C for constipation which brings on more nausea which brings on more weakness which leads to more depriving which.....get the picture?

OK on to something much more important THE BUCS !!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

The BUCS???? lol, ok well we play them this year! Im not much of a gambler.....(yea right) but a friend of mine Ben Franklin says Philly by 3! haha

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

We are supposed to be the new look Bucs (whatever that means?). All it means to me is new head coach, new asst coaches and new players so who knows what will happen???

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Jim,
When I was were you are now. Turning on the computer was a real trick, much less putting words together that made since. (could be argued I still have a problem with the latter) They "boosted" my lymphnodes at the end of the treatment also. You could still feel them on the last day, however a week latter they had dissappeared. Remember, you keep cooking for weeks afterwords.

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
AmyK #101076 08-07-2009 01:10 PM
OP Offline

I finally got a Perk down today and what a difference that made! WOW! The liquid morphine makes me so lethargic and down! All I want to do is mope around the house and lay in bed. I got the perk down and feel sooooo much better! I got mad and just chugged down 2 VHC after trying to sip water all morning and it hurting like hell. 2 of those and a perk made all the difference! I just got back from treatment and surprisingly feel really good....the calm before the storm...lol! Anyways I am just focused on getting thru this next week and then praying that this lump on the other side of my neck is what all the docs say it is! That will be a load of my shoulders...oh yea and a clear PET too...lol! I think I am going to request all 3! PET, MRI and a CT! I am sure they will give me the CT and PET at the same time but from what I hear its good to have an MRI done as well. TGIF...2 days off and a football game this weekend....wow Im stoked!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Jim - my very best to you in your recovery! I'm 2 months out from RT and still lying on the couch all day and bitching about nausea.

But more importantly.... what are you doing in Palm Beach rooting for the Iggles????

GO DOLPHINS!!

David2
(born and raised in Miami no matter where I live... although, David1, I do also have a little soft spot for the Bucs - enough to be glad they're in the other Conference...)

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

lol, Born and raised in Philly! I am a HUGE sports freak, follow all PA teams but none more than the Eagles and Penn St. I am predicting the eagles to win it all this year! Should have been there last year...we choked again...I know! Penn St. should have a pretty good team as well..Starting off the year ranked 9th in the coaches poll however we did lose 9 in the draft alone! Already have the 1st 2 draft picks jerseys for Philly and mark my words LeSean McCoy is going to be another Westbrook! Not to mention he is from Bishop McDevitt in Harrisburg (actually where I grew up my later years) if you dont know the last running back to come from that high school was Ricky Watters who wasnt to bad! McCoy also scored 31 Td's last year for Pitt under Wandstadt who SUCKS as a coach...Anyways have a good evening gentleman and I am sure there will be a little trash talking going on this year during the season. I will be attending the Eagles opening game in Charlotte Sept.13th and also going to the Falcons game in ATL on Dec. 6th! Try to see them at least 2 times a year and 1 of my goals in life is to watch a NFL game in every stadium, preferably the Eagles of course. I already have the Pro-Bowl down which is one of the hardest to get! Im done for today! Been a really good day after about 12! lol, glad I have 2 days off my neck needs it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users