Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101008 08-06-2009 03:19 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Also had a course of Cisplatin. Two more of those every 3rd week.

On my way.

Mark
BOT Squamous cell, stage IIIa
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You will do fine Mark. Soe of us had fears and some didn't but it all balances out like Davids books do in the end.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Baby steps Mark and before soon it will be finished.

Re the Cis, I assume they have told you to watch for any "ringing" in your ears. Do let your MO know ASAP even if you think you feel something different in either of your ears.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

terrible weekend. Had to go in Sat. night and get IV fluids. We've been throwing the kitchen sink at it with all the anti nausea meds. Thank goodness the wife has been writing down every dose so we can keep track of what's next. No more Chemo for 3 weeks. Tell me it get better.

Mark
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

It gets better, but it might get worse first! I found that I was throwing the kitchen sink at the chemo re meds and ended up with a severe inability to sit still. I HAD to be in motion - either rocking or something - drove me and everyone around me nuts. After my 2nd chemo treatment, only took one of the anti nausea meds and felt much better. By then they had also adjusted my B.P. medication. Hang in there - this isn't for the faint of heart, but you WILL get through it. These days will pass and the sun WILL shine again.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Mark as I said on another thread of yours...you are in Oregon, try medicinal marijuana to help with nausea and anxiety. I wont do the whole write up again but on 1 of your threads I wrote in detail about it...give it a shot buddy.

You'll get through this thing my friend...it seems like a long time but it will pass and you'll get through it! Go get em champ!

Be Well

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

Love to, but have been warned by my right wing wacko employer that I can be drug tested after my leave and they don't recognize the medical marijuana law there. Don't want to loose my health insurance over principle.

Last edited by MarkInOregon; 08-11-2009 09:10 AM.

Mark
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Mark, best to you on this difficult road of tx. Keep posting as whatever you will be experiencing, others here have gone through.

Bill . . . SCC - originated in right tonsil, drifted into neck ( 28 lymph nodes removed - one positive ). Radical neck dissection in September 07, completed 34 radiation tx on January 4, 2008. Used Peg. Non smoker, 61, good shape, no previous health issues. Second year PET scan - "all clear".

hmmm, if given a drug test you're going to light it up anyway due to the opiod pain killers, and since they couldn't/can't fire you over those, they wouldn't be able to fire you over a legally obtained prescription drug. As a former employer, that's not a can of worms I'd want to open...especially in a liberal, employee biased state like Oregon where the labor laws really are in such favor of the employee. That's a lawsuit your employer would never win...especially in that state, so I wouldn't fear an imbecile like that one bit, in fact I'd tell him to "f" right off and keep his ideals out of your cancer treatment...but that's just me.

Good luck Mark

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Mark's caution may well be warranted. some cases out of California upheld an employers' right to fire employees using medical marijuana since it is still illegal on the federal level or was deemed to impair the employee's ability to do the job. My experience has been that employers routinely callously fired employees needing medical attention regardless of the potential legal consequences. There is no absolute legal "right" to take even prescription drugs and work. It was horrendous for the employee even if his/her complaint made it through our bureaucracy up to my level to handle. At least a year had gone by, with no salary - unemployment denied- and cases were hard to win due to the requirement that the employee still had to be able to do the job with only "reasonable accommodation". Drug testing failure was always a loser if they tested positive for any illegal substance. Private attorneys are usually reluctant to sue unless they are being paid and contingent fees are mostly in the personal injury (car accidents, etc)unless they involve a class action component. Bottom line, Mark's employer would probably get away scott free, so I have to go with Mark's analysis here.
Eric, you are a pistol though, but the "f' word alone would then justify the employer firing you and that would stick. Judges are not sympathetic to pot users or "disrespectful" employees. Back in the bad old private practice days, the saying was " How much justice can you afford?"
charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-12-2009 03:55 AM. Reason: typo

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Yeah, well I wouldn't characterize my employer as tyrannical but rather sort of parental. The founder of my company is a 12 stepper and I think its part of his 12th step to scare his employees straight. Yes, I'll light up for opyoids but the test for THC would be different. And obviously, if I have a script for the pain meds, no harm no foul.

Thanks for everyone's kind encouragement but I really think any benefit of medical marijuana would be outweighed by additional stress even if I won a lawsuit. On the whole, I have a great employer and like stated at the start, when I am battling cancer is not a good time to jeopardize my employer-supplied health insurance.

Mark
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37