Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#100615 08-01-2009 04:56 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, all -

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I'd give you a halftime report. I started rads and chemo (taxol and carboplatin) on July 13 and am three weeks (out of six) done now! My mouth is full of blisters, especially inside my top lip (ouch!)and I can't breathe through my nose anymore. I'm still eating (soup) and drinking, but don't know how long that's gonna last. Starting to lose some hair, too. Some insomnia (due to pain?) and very low energy. I'm getting a somewhat preemptive short short haircut next week to lessen the shock of the hair loss. All in all, I guess I'm hanging in there all right; my fears are around how much worse it might get, but I guess I can't know that. Any other women out there who had Taxol and lost hair? Just wondering.

Chrissy

Stage 2 SCC upper right palate
Hemi-palatectomy and maxillectomy 5/28/09
Six teeth gone
IMRT x30 starts July 13. Completed 8/26/09
Carboplatin and Taxol x6 starting 7/14/09. Completed 8/25/09.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Mighty Mouse,

Thanks for the 1/2 time report. Were you prescribed any painmeds? That might be helpful for your eating and sleeping.

I don't know of anyone who has had carbo and taxol here...I hope someone is able to chime in with that experience.

The carboplatin generally doesn't cause hair loss, although I am pretty sure Taxol does. I wish I could send you a picture of a friend of mine who is fighting breast cancer, she lost all of her hair and opted for the bald and beautiful look. I saw her a few weeks ago and she looked stunning!

The RT can get progressively harder to deal with regarding side effects. Be pro-active about your need for pain meds and very open about any discomfort with your medical team.

My husband always wanted to get in and out of the hospital so his standard answer to how are you feeling was "fine". I would review his side effects and list of discomforts with his team when he was in treatment and was able to make sure he had all of the proper pain meds and tools to feel as comfortable as possible. I hope you are a better self advocate than my husband. ;-)

Your 1/2 way through and still eating...you are doing great! There are many here who have had much better experiences recently throughout treatment than my husband...I hope you continue to be one of them.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
mhupe #100695 08-03-2009 03:55 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for well wishes, Margaret. I do have pain meds but am probably not using them as much as I should. I'm going to ask for Magic Mouthwash today to see if it helps, too.

I've pretty much stopped eating over the weekend; now it's mostly Boost and Greek yogurt and protein shakes. Everything stings, even water, sometimes.

I'm giving up on the hair; it's definitely going fast.

Chrissy

Six teeth gone

Hi Chris,

Good idea on the magic mouthwash front. That can help numb the mouth to get some calories down. Sorry to hear that everything stings.

Do you have someone to drive you to treatments? You might be at a point where you may need to increase the frequency/dosage of the regular pain medication so that you can be more comfortable.

I tried to find a post I saw this weekend, I thought I read that there were several people here who used taxol w/ their chemo. Not all lost their hair. Is your hair coming out all over, or in spots? Dan lost hair in two spots from the radiation.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
mhupe #100718 08-03-2009 12:02 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Chris - I can't comment on any chemo effects as I was thankfully spared that treatment - although I did lose half the hair on the back of my head thanks to the rads.

During RT and for several weeks afterward I found viscous lidocaine to be the only thing that would numb my mouth sores enough to allow me to gag anything down. I.e. Boost, Ensure, etc, which, amazingly now - 2 months after the end of RT - are still practically the only thing I eat.

I've heard the term Magic Mouthwash before... wondering if posters mean OraMagic? Anyway that's also helpful but not nearly as strong as the lidocaine.

Don't stint on the pain medication! At the height of my treatment I was taking 3 Percocets every 4 hours practically around the clock.

All of Margaret's suggestions are good ones too. I was able to drive myself to treatments daily (35 mins each way, in LA traffic) until the last couple of days... but that was because I was on a Fentanyl patch for pain and didn't trust myself to drive. You might also ask your doc about Fentanyl if he/she hasn't mentioned it.

Courage and optimism: sounds as if you have both in abundance, and that's why you're going to be fine!
David

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
David2 #100720 08-03-2009 12:28 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, David and Margaret. I went in today for my radiation treatment, but the RO looked at my mouth first and told me I needed to take three days off. I guess it's as bad as I thought! The underside of my upper lip is one solid blister -- I can't smile anymore, have a hard time drinking (and needless to say, eating). The RO prescribed lidocaine for me (viscous), and I'm going to use it! I tried it before lunch, and was able to eat much more comfortably.

I am still driving myself to treatments (except on chemo days, when I get a ride); if I get to the point where I can't, my fiance will figure out a way to get out of work to do it.

So, three days' respite -- I haven't heard anyone ever talk about their RO giving them time off, but I guess I have to trust mine. I also get the week off from chemo. Maybe my side effects will calm down a little now, and then I can return to the regular routine.

Thanks for all your advice -- I really appreciate it!

Chrissy

Six teeth gone
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

No Davud we mean magic mouth wash. I What my Dr prescribes is his own formula with 3 narcotics in it. It will numb you for awhile. I am supposed to take it before I eat and the at bedtime. But at bedtime I take a xanax and 1/2 a perc. This relaxes me enough along with 4 other pills that I can sleep. They all cause drowsyness.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #100732 08-03-2009 02:33 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Another David....way to many David's have this cancer IMHO

Check this out

www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/mucositis.html

You can always go to the bottom of this web site's page and click on SEARCH and find anything you want related to our cancer right on this site.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #100752 08-03-2009 05:33 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Chris,

My husband is finished with th 33 radiations and 3 chemos with three more chemos to go. He had a small sore on his tongue that has now turned into many sores. Everyone is different but I'd say the last 2 weeks of radiation and the first week after radiation has ended has been the hardest for him. I would say the sores got progressively worse. If not for his mouth sores he would be in much better shape. He says his mouth sores are a 10 without meds and a 5 with. It has really kicked his butt. We struggled with pain meds and realized how important it is to control the pain level. He is now on a slow morphine release tab 2 times a day and morphine tincture low does every three hours as needed. It took awhile to get the pain meds right. He puts Colgate Orabase ( we tried others but Colgate seems the best) directly on the sores and he gargles with magic mouth wash to numb the mouth. We did elect to get the PEG half way through and our happy with having it now. He can hydrate all night and get nutrition down when it is too painful to swallow. He couldn't afford to lose lots and lots of pounds as he was skinny to start with. He lost 25 lbs with the tonsillectomy before the treatment even started. He has lost a total of 25 lbs, so 10 lbs from the actual treatment. He would have wasted away without the PEG and would have had to go to the hospital a lot to rehydrate. The PEG is a personal choice. For us, a life saver.I go to all his appointments and am really an advocate with all the meds and getting what he needs. He would probably not be so pro-active if he went alone. Also he forgets to take his meds if I don't monitor them. He is also taking Diflucan every day for thrush.

Once we increased his meds he couldn't drive to treatment anymore. It would be a good idea to line up people to help drive you.

Now is a good time to re-evaluate your meds. He is on cispaltin, no hair loss except two spots from the radiation but lots of nausea after chemo for a week.
Ativan under the tongue at bed time has helped him relax and also helps with nausea if you have that as a side effect. I didn't read that you did. Hang in there. We are thinking of you.
He just finished radiation last Tuesday so what you are going through is really really familiar and seems like yesterday ( it kind of was yesterday!)

Vanessa

Jeff age 49 DX 5/8/09 Tonsil cancer T2N2BMO. Tonsillectomy 5/14/09. TX: Cisplatin 3x's every 21 days w/ 33 Rad concurrent. 2-3 nodes on right neck affected. PEG 7/10/09. Chemo/rad start 6/12/9, TX finished 7/28/09. Extended TX
3 more chemo/Cisplatin/5FU/Docetaxil start 9/11, Clean PET 10/29/09.
Watt #100786 08-04-2009 05:51 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Vanessa. You husband's pain sounds a lot like mine -- the sores are horribly painful and make it hard to even drink creamed soup or anything. I am keeping the PEG in the back of my mind as a possibility if the time comes when I can't even do Carnation VHC. I have Percoset for pain, works moderately well, but I probably need to go for the full dose instead of "soldiering on" through the pain as I tend to do. If I do up my pain meds, I will definitely need to have rides to treatment, since the meds make me woozy. My fiance is ready to drive, and the American Cancer Society also has free rides when I need them. I also was given Lidocaine yesterday, and that works well for about half an hour; I'm going to ask again about Magic Mouthwash the next time I go in, too.

I'm glad your husband is DONE -- how terrific he must feel about that! I hope his next few weeks go well; they will probably be hard, but it sounds like he's got great support from you and all the right meds in place.

Chrissy

Six teeth gone
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics