Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Everytime I tell you something you add a month or 2 onto it..

Just trying to ease your stubborn ass into this treatment and recovery process.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I have 11 treatments then whatever "boosts" I will get. I did not want the PEG either. Last weekend when I could not get water down w/o my mouth feeling like it was on fire made me change my mind. Best of luck to you JimB. One day we will be able to pass on our experiences as David and others have to us.
Thank you everyone,
Kenny

Dx: SCC lateral tongue April 09, Stage T1M0N0
PET scan clear April 09
Partial glossectomy April 09, no carcinoma present
IMRT started 7/9/09, finished 8/26/09
PEG inserted 7/30/09
PEG removed 9/25/09
ER Nurse

Keep the rubber side down....
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be working out Jim. From the sound of things you do not need a PEG at this point as you are eating well and your weight loss fairly minimal (I lost 70lbs).

My original thought was you were swallowing blood and that was making you sick as this had happened to me. I had several episodes where the area of my necrotic lesion in my mouth would ooze this thick, black, partially clotted blood that looked kind of like the black venom stuff in Spiderman 3. It was pretty disgusting.

Keep the chin up and be well my friend

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Hey Jim

As an original PEG-objector (to the point my first posts were to relaunch the PEG wars), I hear you loud and clear. More power to you brother. It was an exceptionally satisfying feeling NOT to get a PEG yet finish all the radiation & chemo. I NEVER got more than 2000 calories down a day let alone much water but survived. No dehydration - just 40 lbs weight loss.
People who say the Cancer TX is like a marathon, in my experience have never run one. ( I have done 4, with best time of 3 hours, 15 minutes). The marathon part is life afterwards with the new normal. The actual TX is much more like a 10 K race, and you are near the 4 mile mark when the going gets tough but the tough get going. Keep the faith
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Very well put Charm I like that! I have to say waking up this morning I do not feel as nausious or tired as I did yesterday but damn is my throat sore and swollen. I does however seem to get better throughout the day and the morning is always the worst. If I fight like hell and endure the pain in the morning drinking water when the percocet finally kicks in I am able to eat, right now it would be pretty difficult! At least I have 2 days off coming up maybe that will give me a little bit of relief!

30 yr old M non-smoker (stuborn ass italian)
SCC left side Tongue 2/17/09, Partial Gloss. 2/25/09
Left ND 5/20/09 10 nodes, 1 pos (1.7cm w/xtra cap spread)
Finished Rads IMRT X 33 8/18/09 (70gy)No PEG, No Chemo
"On the long road to recovery 1 step at a time"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My mother just completed treatment for her fourth round of this stuff. She admittedly was overweight when she began but over the last couple of years she lost 96 lbs. By this time, she was finding it nearly impossible to eat/drink, was very dehydrated. We were told by her speech therapist the other day that she was literally "starving to death" when she went in the hospital on 6/29 and was shocked to hear that we had asked her dr. for a PEG and he said she didn't need one. It was unbelieveable to us to see her gain weight so quickly with the PEG - she went from 95 lbs. to 116 in just 2 1/2 weeks. I kept thinking something had to be wrong w/the scales but that's what the hospital said. It was the best thing she's had done in a good while. I know you don't want it and if you can get along without it, I'm extremely happy for you. Just remember to get help when you need it. I can tell you now it would have saved her a lot of suffering. We've learned a lot of things the hard way. Good luck - you sound like you can beat anything !!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!!

CG/Mom: 5 1/2 years SCC upper palate,4 recurrences, surgeries, chemo & radiation. Mom went to Heaven 1/21/11.
OP Offline

Went in for radiation this morning and the machine was down....so instead of me coming back later in the day they told me to take the day off since my throat and tongue were so swollen and sore. They also gave me liquid morphine for the pain, though I didnt ask for it they told me to take it. The 1 thing that I ask for they cant do anything for and that is the feeling of someone sticking there finger down my throat all day! That is what is making me nausious, apparently it is the thick mucuous stuck in the back of my throat! Nothing that I have tried gets rid of that feeling? Any suggestions???

30 yr old M non-smoker (stuborn ass italian)
SCC left side Tongue 2/17/09, Partial Gloss. 2/25/09
Left ND 5/20/09 10 nodes, 1 pos (1.7cm w/xtra cap spread)
Finished Rads IMRT X 33 8/18/09 (70gy)No PEG, No Chemo
"On the long road to recovery 1 step at a time"

Is it far enough up that a portable suction machine can get to it? I didn't have one for the mucous but sure wish I did. It has helped some people.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Echoing Eileen's post, this time around the mucous was much worse and the portable suction machine was a big help. If you can gargle with Seltzer water, that was how I got through my first round with no PEG. I swallowed a sip of Ensure, then gargled with Seltzer and spit out the mucous, sip of Ensure. Although it took a half hour, the feeding tube with gravity bag takes just about as long -(although I now admit the PEG is a very easy way to take in nutrition)
I hated the dry heaves, especially since some acidic stuff would come up and burn my throat. Nothing helped the dry heaves during the second round of radiation which thank God only lasted a week.
You can do this, and don't discount the pain medications. Get yourself a fentanyl patch (start with 25mcg, and go to 50mcg quickly) as they really helped with numbing the sore throat and letting me swallow.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jim,

You have done a great job so far. Unfortunately, it does get harder. My husband got the PEG at the halfway point and we weren't sure if it was a good idea. He was able to take food orally at that point. Now he is done with radiation as of last Tuesday and the PEG for him has been invaluable. He has many tongue and mouth sores and so swallowing has been difficult. We hydrate all night with the PEG. Without the PEG he would have to have made many trips to the hospital to hydrate. A lot of people go to the hospital to hydrate with a IV and have done well without the PEG. For us it has helped get through this week. It really is a personal decision. Save your strength, the radiation builds and hopefully does its job but it takes a toll on your mouth and neck.

We are sending our prayers and good wishes to you.

Vanessa and Jeff Watt

Jeff age 49 DX 5/8/09 Tonsil cancer T2N2BMO. Tonsillectomy 5/14/09. TX: Cisplatin 3x's every 21 days w/ 33 Rad concurrent. 2-3 nodes on right neck affected. PEG 7/10/09. Chemo/rad start 6/12/9, TX finished 7/28/09. Extended TX
3 more chemo/Cisplatin/5FU/Docetaxil start 9/11, Clean PET 10/29/09.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics