Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195601 01-17-2018 05:22 PM
OP Offline

Hi...Prior to my cancer, I was a RN and pastor. I was diagnosed with stage 3 tongue cancer in 2014. While waiting a month for surgery, my cancer went from the left base of the tongue to the right. Yee haw!😁 I had bilateral neck dissection with a free arm flap and skin grafts followed with chemoradiation. The partial glossesectomy left me with ⅓ of my tongue. Had a trach for 10 months and a gastric feeding tube for 1 yr. The radiation left me with lymph edema for over a year and now dental problem and severe swallowing problems.. Though all of this sounds awful, and, let's be honest, it is! I've survived and thrived because of my faith, good humor, and great surgeons! Everyday is a struggle but it is one I'll gladly take on because I'm here... I'm alive. Last year,I moved, bought a house, and will begin working with head and neck cancer patients at a local hospital. I want others to know it will get better but we first must heal by never giving up or reading the statistics, etc. I was told I'd never talk or eat again because, anatomically, it wasn't possible. That was 11/14. I'm eating and talking because I refused to accept that I couldn't, I never even entertained the notion I wouldn't be able to do them. So, I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings even though my difficulty swallowing is a pain.ðŸĪŠ Life is to be lived and I plan on living it fully! Blessings!!

I'm so thankful to be alive! I want others to know there is always hope, even in the direst circumstances. My tongue cancer was agressive and ⅔ of my tongue was removed. I was told I'd never talk or eat again and, I am able to do both. Yes, it is difficult, but doable! So, always have hope! 😊
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Tina! Its always great having fellow survivors join our ranks. Your post is helpful to others who are in treatment and are struggling. Thanks for sharing your experiences with our family smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hey...it's great to here your story of faith and blessings. I too was a pastor. I was in youth ministry for 15 years. Your attitude is so "on". I look forward to seeing your input. Be Blessed as you reach out to others!

15 year survivor of tonsil cancer. In 2002 I was diagnosed with Stage III squamous cell carcinoma. I had a left neck dissection, teeth removed, and 38 radiation treatments. In 2015 I received a feeding tube and in 2016 a trach, both due to radiation side effects. But I'm happy to say that life has been good to me!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23