Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline

My husband's saliva glands were fried during radition, as well has many of his taste buds. Anything that is sweet now tastes bitter to him. He has to eat so much cheese sauce to get everything down, I am afraid he's going to get heart disease. He is SO limited. Does anyone know of anything besides cheese sauce and gravy he might be able to use to help things slide down his throat? He has to drink so much water at his meals, I don't know how he has any room for food in his stomach. His meals consist of sauteed vegetables, eggs and a few other things. Thanks for your ideas.

T3 N3 squamous cell carcinoma of the right base of tongue. He was treated with induction chemotherapy followed by definitive chemoradiation, which he completed in December 2010. non-smoker, non-drinker.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sorry for your husband's continued issues. Maybe try a food buffet to see what he likes, it's easier, and cheaper. ChristineB has a "easy to eat" food listing, and another post for cookbooks has several cookbooks geared for eating disorders. which is down in the listing of topics. There are plenty of soups that can be made, pur�ed vegetables, pasta's, beef, chicken or seafood dishes in light sauces, basically unlmited. Even using an oil mister helps. I have a small "Misto" can that I put oil in, usually extra virgin olive oil. Pump it, and sprays. You can spray that on any food to help swallow. What are your husbands food tastes likes and dislikes, and what types he has difficulties with? Is he eating everything by mouth?

There are ways to increase saliva too. Drinking lemon water before eating, smelling lemons, chewing gum. Milk replicates saliva's consistency, so drinking just may help. The lactic acid burned my mouth. Sugar also helps produce saliva, so maybe a lemonade drink before, during meals, but sugar burned my mouth too during, soon after treatment, but eat everything now.

Last week I made a Texas style chili with ground beef, and small chuck beef (fatter cuts is easier to swallow) then a bolognese sauce for pasta, which both are easy to swallow, at least for me.

I would also suggest seeing a speech and swallow therapist at your treatment center, who can help with mouth exercises, and order a modified barium swallow test, if needed, to see what is the problem with hs swallowing ability.

I hope this helps, any questions, just ask.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

The list of easy to eat foods will help. Its full of smoother textured foods which are easier to swallow than say cookies or
crackers.

Easy to Eat Foods

Im also very limited with my eating. Yes it sure gets old always eating the same things. I try to switch mine up by alternating weeks where I will eat raspberry jello, homemade chocolate pudding, homemade strawberry cheese pie (no berries or crust), and home made tapioca pudding. I will eat a bowl of one of those things with lots of whipped cream. That gives me some variety. But every single day I will eat cream of wheat (which is my main meal) and a couple peach flavored blended yogurts. Since your husband has problems with tasting sweet, omit the sugar if making any of the above foods from scratch and maybe he will like it better.

As far as his salivia goes, has he tried pilocarpine or salagen? Those are a couple medications which help to produce saliva. They do take a few weeks to fully work but it may help him. Members have had varying results with those medication. I didnt like it as they made me sweat profusely (which girls dont do! LOL!). But others have found success with them. Its worth a shot. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you so much for your ideas! I will try to implement them as soon as I head to the grocery store next. Thanks again and my best wishes to you both. Lauri

T3 N3 squamous cell carcinoma of the right base of tongue. He was treated with induction chemotherapy followed by definitive chemoradiation, which he completed in December 2010. non-smoker, non-drinker.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I used to eat a lot of oatmeal and cream of wheat - during treatment cream of wheat was the only solid-ish food I could eat, and I didn't seem to get tired of it for some reason, despite the fact that I couldn't taste anything.

As far as saliva goes, I recently have started using ACT Drymouth mouthwash and so far it is the only product where I can tell a difference in my saliva (especially at night).

Emily - 24 years old at diagnosis
HPV-, no risk factors
T2N2b Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Left oral tongue, poorly differentiated
Hemiglossectamy, reconstruction, partial neck dissection
30 Radiation treatments, weekly chemo (cisplatin)
1/13/12 last day of treatment
Diagnosed October 2011
OP Offline

Thanks Emily. I appreciate your input. My hubby can eat grits with soft eggs and cheese. We'll try some oatmeal too. Best wishes to you, I see you just finished treatments last month. How are you feeling? I am guessing because you are so young, they threw the kitchen sink at you for treatment? That is pretty much what they told my husband. I hope you are doing GREAT!!

Last edited by defeatingin2010; 02-21-2013 08:09 PM.

I am still waiting to find out whether the severe sore throat and lump in my throat is cancer, but I have had gastroparesis for almost 5 years. One thing my doctor suggested when it got hard to eat solids due to the gastroparesis is to get those baby food pouches. Gerber, Earths Best, Ella's Kitchen, Plum Organics and Happy Baby all make these. These baby food pouches are pureed so well that they slide down your throat very easily. They make them in fruits and vegatables varieties.
I have eaten these at least 2 times a day and have enteral formula through my feeding tube the rest of the day. They have helped me a lot.

Jessie

I didn't know you had a feeding tube, Jessie.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Ramen noodles worked very well for me. I lived on them for the better part of a month. I would only use 1/2 of the seasoning packet to cut down on the sodium levels. Cook the noodles to the degree necessary and they slide right down. If I felt ok that day I would crack an egg into the soup to get some additional protein.

Hang in there!

Ray

SCC Right Pharangeal wall Stage IV HPV+
T1-2N2bMO
Dx 10/12/2012
Father for the second time to 2nd beautiful boy 11/2/12
Port Implanted 11/20/12 - no feeding tube
Tx - 11/26/12 35 IMRT Rads 5X/week Weekly Cisplatin
Last treatment 1/15/13
"Grind it out, I will be cured as I have too much to live for"
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi defeatingin2010, I know the problem of bloating with too much water well. I have similar problems with lack of saliva and swallowing difficulty. The two main stays of my diet are first porridge, cooked with a whole range of additons such as a banana, honey, ground flaxseed, ground hempseed, some protein powder and creme fraiche. Second is organic probiotic natural yogurt which I have developed a real taste for and I use it to help other foods slide down more easily. I have always had a sweet tooth but I now find confectionary chocolate and other sweet things sting my mouth, however, I can enjoy dark chocolate - +70% cocoa (it was always too bitter in the past - strange that I like it now!) but I can only eat it with a hot milky drink either a latte or hot chocolate. Real chocolate is considered to have a lot of healthy properties and so is especially good for us diet challenged folk who struggle with getting enough calories and proteins! Another thing you could try is adding Psyllium husk fibre to sauces. You only need a tiny amount (0.25 teaspoon) to get a gelifying effect. Too much is horrible, but a small amount can just make make sauces that bit slippier. It is also good for constipation! I also juice fruit and veg twice a day to make sure I get all the vitimins and other goodies that I miss from not being able to eat salads and cooked veg. The taste changes are very strange and effect everyone so differently. I always liked real ales and craft beers, but I now find that I really savour the hoppy beers, so maybe I have changed to enjoy the bitter favours more than sweet! Hope some of this might be a help. Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics