Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#154660 09-18-2012 06:55 AM
OP Offline

My husband has been done with treatment since January 2009. He is considering going to see a chiropractor and I was wondering if anyone can give us some good advice regarding this. He gets some pain on his neck once in a while where it was radiated, but I don't know if a chiropractor is his best option or not. I'm sure knowing his history, that they won't be yanking on his neck like they do mine, but maybe somebody out there can give us better insight to this as to whether they think it will help him or not. Thanks!

age 35 at DX,EBV-, HPV+,stage 4a oropharyngeal BOT rt side 1 node+/15 nodes - rt side of neck, non-smoker/drinker, induction therapy to begin 9/18/08 cisplatin,5FU,taxotere 2X, radiation to follow for 7 wks, radiation completed 1/21/09
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

How about a physical therapist?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

I think they may offer PT there as well. I know they do accupuncture so maybe they will refer him to other areas within their practice. I was just hoping to hear from someone who has had chiropractic work. I was wondering if adjustments interfere with the neck/head area where damage has occurred from the radiation. It is just a concern I have with him wanting to see a chiropractor. I just started seeing one, so he thinks it is a good idea for him to see one as well. I couldn't find anything specifically related to it when I started searching. Thanks to anyone who can provide some first hand knowledge.

age 35 at DX,EBV-, HPV+,stage 4a oropharyngeal BOT rt side 1 node+/15 nodes - rt side of neck, non-smoker/drinker, induction therapy to begin 9/18/08 cisplatin,5FU,taxotere 2X, radiation to follow for 7 wks, radiation completed 1/21/09
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I have had 2 bulging discs in my neck for several years. My primary care physician is a DO and he was the only one I would ever let do an adjustment on my neck or back. I was having mid/lower back issues shortly after treatment and went to see him. He would only adjust the middle and lower back and wouldn't go anywhere near my neck/shoulder are because of the treatment and chemo port. And by the way, that was almost 3 years ago and I haven't needed an adjustment since then. Everybody I know that goes to a chiropracter seems to have to go regularly for their adjustment.

Cathi

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I don't have any special back problems and had never been to a chiropractor until the past year. I admit I did not think a lot of them for most of my life.

I have been happy with it, but my chiropractor knows her limits and is smart. I was actually having physical therapy on a regular basis (related both to my weak neck and my abdominal problems after surgery there) when I asked my PT about chiropractic. She thought I would be ok going to this chiropractor.

I always feel better after I come back from my chiropractic visit. She can tell what part of my body is giving me problems when doing an adjustment (I doubted these too) before I tell her. And yes she does acupuncture, both standard, and the electro, which is covered by insurance. I thought the electro acupuncture, which I had a year ago, actually did give me more saliva, at least temporarily. Now, close to two years out of treatment, I have more saliva on my own.

Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
OP Offline

Thank you for your responses!

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am a ""believer" when it comes to Chiropracitic- the key is to find a good chiropractor, and the best way is to ask friends/family. I started going years ago when I hurt my neck, and I continue to go on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. There are a few reasons for this. First, I always feel better after an adjustment. The other reason is for my overall health. Think of the purpose this way. All your of your thoughts, feelings, actions come from your brain and travel through your spinal cord. If there are "kinks" (think of a garden hose) in the bones that surround the nerves sending these millions of messages, it is difficult for the messages to get through, or for your "innate" to work as well as it should in sending the messages and in keeping the body healthy. There have been times when I've been having issues- lets be fun, and say with constipation. I will go to my chiropractor and let him tell me what is "wrong" - he invariably knows just by running his hands down my spine, and he'll ask me if I've been having problems with bowel movements. It really is a simple concept.
"Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease. "
Hippocrates
Chiropractic helps our innate function to it's fullest capacity.
I also feel that if there is something painful to you, why not try a healthy, natural way to alleviate that pain and feel better.
Thanks for letting me jump on my soapbox!
Lyn
(Ironically, I am signing off because I have an appt with my Chiropractor that I have to get to!)

Stage 4: Mid-line BOT primary; Left Lymph Node 4-5cm HPV+
Chemo/Rad 10/08/12; 3 big doses cisplatin
Updated 10/16 refusing Cisplatin; due to side effects
Considering Carboplatin; discussing with doctors.
Corp. Trainer- South New Jersey
Life is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics