Next Thread
Print Thread
#153966 09-01-2012 07:53 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi eveyone, I'm wondering about others experiences with getting dentures. I had 10 back teeth removed before radiotherepy. At the time the dentist (part of the cancer centre team) told me that their preference would be that I did not get dentures, so as not to cause any problems with infection and then ORN. I really miss being able to chew foods and the last time I saw her she said we could review the possibility of dentures after a year (not sure if she meant a year from the teeth extraction, October, or end of treatment, January).

My gums have taken an age to recover and I am still experiencing bone from the extraction sites coming through my gums, so not really anywhere near considering that I could tolerate dentures. But should I pursue the possibility for the future, or is it really not worth the process and should I learn to get on without them?

Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello Saxicola
I am originally from Oxgangs its,a small world, but have been in London for 25 years. Anyhow I had my last raiation today what a mile stone. Was my teeth were out my gums never felt healthier. I lost my denture early in the treatment, it was cosmetically fine but horrible in the mouth. I am hoping the dental department at Guys will do me a favour when things have settled down and do me a mini denture or a bridge as I cant afford private. I guess my mouth is still tight and youu need to wait a bit for things to settle. Personally I believe back dentures are more trouble than they are worth and as long as you have a front smile your good to go. Hope I get an all clear down the line well done "Auld Reekie" I hope your a hearts supporter.

CubanKeith

Last edited by CubanKeith; 09-01-2012 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

21st March squall cells.Endescopy not oesophagus, ENT .April endo nose CAT MRI general Panendoscopy prim-HPV 16 base of left tongue one node-stage 2.23rd of May.14/5/12 9 teeth out.8/6/12 PICC inserted.11/6/12 1st Chemos 25/6/12 2nd Chemo Cisplatin5FU:27/6/12 PEG23/8/12 Radiation finished 1/9/12.
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Cubankeith. Greetings from Auld Reekie. As well as Edinburgh we have the similar Dx and treatment in common. However, I'm not a football fan so I steer well clear of Hearts/Hibs discussions!

Well done for getting to the end of treatment, especially with your humour intact. I found the last week of rads really dragged. But you get there in the end and then it is a slow haul to recovery, which requires some patience, especially with the teeth/gums! I suspect you will be right about avoiding back dentures. And yes I still have my old smile.

I look forward to hearing how you progress. Sally.

10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Sally, the oncology dentist told us that Kris would never get dentures. He said that due to the radiation the blood supply to the gums would be poor and that the risk of osteoradionecrosis would be too high.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Saxicola

Personally I think dentures are more trouble than they are worth.

Alex had 14 teeth removed and we both pinned our hopes on an improvement in eating and weight gain on getting "new teeth" . Consequently, he probably got them a little too early and they gave him little satisfaction in eating and have caused ongoing dramas with the fit and how to anchor them. With a plate in the roof of his mouth he couldn't even feel the food let alone taste it. His taste has only just started returning after two and half years and the plate just adds to his woes.

Another friend who I turned to on Alex's diagnosis, said he didn't get his teeth for at least 12 months and learned quite quickly to "gum" his food quite successfully.

I would recommend a speech pathologist for help. They don't just help with speech and swallowing but can give you advice on food to try, exercises with food, food to avoid etc. A dietician might do the same but I like the Speech Pathologist as she seemed to have a better handle on the mechanics of eating which was (and still is) Alex's main problem.

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks Tammy and Karen

You are confirming what I expected, but worth asking in case there are any positive stories on dentures.

I see the speech and language therapist (UK equivalent of a speech pathologist)and dietitian at my 6 weekly check ups and they are quite helpful, but I guess they can't perform miracles! I need to have more patience.

cheers Sally

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Get them if the Dr says OK. I would settle for any type of teeth . Even 2 of them would be great. But I shall be like you all and live the way I have to.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My original ENT, oral surgeon and plastic surgeon told me "teeth implants or dentures will NEVER work for you. Sorry, but you will get used to life without lower teeth". Well, I'm pleased to say once my rebuilt mandible jaw healed I got another opinion and was told a different story. Over a period of approximately 16 months I had implants placed in my reconstructed lower jaw and a denture designed. The final stages of the denture was completed in 2010. This denture improved my situation in so many ways.

Once your mouth heals, you can get a 2nd opinion.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks Karen. Some hope then. But still a long way off I think.
Sally

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I don't post often, but I do have experience on this one. When I was diagnosed, they told me they were going to operate to remove my tonsils and that at the same time, that they were going to pull all of my teeth due to gum/teeth issues. This was on a Thursday and they were going to operate on the following Tuesday. I told my surgeon that there was no way I was going to let him pull my teeth until I talked to a dentist. He referred me to a dentist that works with several OC patients. I met with him on Friday and he agreed with my surgeon. But he also made the mold for my dentures. They were ready for me once I finished radiation and my mouth had healed. It took a long time for me to be able to wear them without any pain. But I can happliy say that I love them and have been wearing them constantly for a year and a half now. I say give it a try!!

I also have to tell you how wonderful my dentist is!! My surgeon called him ahead of my appointment and told him I was a nice lady with no insurance or money and to see what he could do for me. My dentist told me he could make me "economy" dentures (all I could think of was George Washington's wooden teeth)!! I have to tell you...these are not "economy" dentures!!! My dentist and surgeon are two of the kindest, most caring men I have ever met!! Good luck!

Cathi

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members