Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

I haven't piped in - I don't think.. I know the break through meds aren't helping much frankly it sounds like nothing is) I was okay with chemo, rads was hard. Though I did have bouts of nausea mostly related to my tube, so I stopped using it after two tries and bit the bullet.. Maybe try getting him to take his meds about 15 minutes prior to eating, have him down a bottle of ensure and either sit up, or lay on his right side to help drain his stomach a little more quickly. I found position made things a little better laying on your left side makes it harder to drain your stomach. Ensure is fast, if you get the one with extra calories it has almost as much protein as the protein plus ensure has! I survived on four to 5 a day, and learned to chug them in 13 gulps!! They are bland - texture free and shouldn't trigger too much gagging (I found the thng that was worse was gagging on my own spit. I kept a cloth nearby, to spit into, and a glass - gross I know - I also rinsed frequently on the lowest setting with a water pick and a dab of all natural, alcohol free mouthwash - it made everything feel less gross and cleans out the secretions.... it dependeds on what is setting off the nausea.

However I also know someone who was sick from beginning to end! He said he lost 50 lbs, and spent all his time throwing up - he's great today!! It all ends!! if you find the ensure helps and does stay down, the try buying some protein powder, and adding say. 1/4 of a scoop per bottle of ensure. Would add one scoop to one ensure a day - and found it really helped with healing. One scoop affects the thickness though - so breaking it down might make it easier for him. Good luck!, sorry he's feeling so crappy! Take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thank you Christine
He is on zofran and compazine. They keep the naseau at bay, but as soon as he puts something in it comes right back. frown
Poor guy is getting pretty down. It's hard to keep him positive right now. I don't know how to keep things in him or what to do to help. Feel so powerless. And of course it's a holiday weekend so he won't see the doc till Tuesday. I hate seeing him go thru this.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Personally I'm a fan of marijuana (vaporized not smoked) for nausea and increasing appetite. If it's legal in your state then ask your Dr about it, if it's not it doesn't have any drug interactions so talk to your hippie or stoner buddies and score a bag. It'll help with the depression, pain, anxiety and increase appetite. No matter what your notions are of marijuana many on these forums have used it successfully during treatment to help cope with side effects of other drugs and keep moods lifted. A few hits from the vaporizer, a bag of jevity and Pineapple Express on DVD should be enough to get him in a good mood, if not I recommend doubling the doses of mj, jevity and switching any Cheech & Chong or Harold & Kumar movie for P/E smile

Keep your chin up!

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 01-01-2012 03:00 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Add to Eric's post....don't let your docs prescribe Marinol, supposedly a MJ substitute, as it just plain DOES NOT WORK and it's very expensive. I know from experience! I smoked my share of MJ in my college years so I know what MJ can do and those pills didn't mimic MJ in the least for me. Looking back I wish I had tried the real stuff.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Okay, due to legal issues, let me say that I know a "friend" who can can vouch from personal experience for the recommendations from Cheryl, Eric & David. This "friend" got thru the first time without a feeding tube due to Ensure Plus and MJ (vaporized). None of medications worked well for the nausea and usually "he" threw those pills up. Using the MJ for this medical purpose worked exceedingly well in that it not only made the Ensure Plus palatable but "he" was able to keep it down. There is a very good reason why every State that has medical marijuana specifically lists Cancer as a qualifying condition. NORML has an excellent web page debunking Marinol Marinol vs Natural
Plus "he" was able to keep "his" prescription opiate use way down. Okay legal hypocrisy parenthetical done.

One more thing I found helpful was to gargle and swish with cans of Seltzer water: it dissolved that damn mucous so I could spit it out and not choke. Just the mucous dripping down your throat is often enough to trigger a vomiting reflex.
I found the large bottles did not keep enough fizz so I bought the individual cans in six packs - just generic Safeway or any non brand name will work.

It's very tough and your post brings back bad memories but it does end.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 01-02-2012 05:51 PM. Reason: added parenthicals

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Yes -soda water was awesome, you can swish and spit, and or swallow the flat stuff - it heals!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Christine,
I tried Zophran, Zuphrine, Compazine, and Phenergan. No help. I finally started using ativan every four hours followed by Marinol. I would let the ativan disolve in my mouth (so I wouldn't throw it up) then wait 30 minutes and take the marinol. That combo allowed me to stop vomiting for an hour to an hour and a half.
Angie

51 y/o Stage 4 HPV Tonsil Cancer IMRT & Cisplatin. Completed 9/26/2011.

Man, I'm so sorry to read about the continuing nausea. There's practically nothing worse. And it seems you've tried nearly everything. The MJ is another good idea if you can get it.

I in fact had a different experience with Marinol than DavidCPA's: it helped me and was easy to take, so I didn't need to get a vaporizer, etc. (although living in LA I could have and still could get an MJ license if I wanted one, which I don't)

Good luck!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics