Posted By: Vicky1 Dad has his mandiblectomy today - 05-31-2018 01:22 AM
Dad has his surgery today. He did well, we haven't really spoken to the surgeon other than when they told us he was waking up and we could see him. He was awake and writing on his pad of paper. He wanted us to leave before it got dark because he wanted us to be safe, so we left as it was getting dark. We spent maybe 3 hours with him after surgery. His face is really swollen, and he has tubes everywhere. He said his leg hurts, but its not bad. The trach is freaking him out a little. He said it feels like he's choking sometimes and he doesnt like that he cant swallow.
Posted By: DeniseG Re: Dad has his mandiblectomy today - 05-31-2018 06:29 AM
Thanks for the update.Prayers for him as he recovers.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dad has his mandiblectomy today - 05-31-2018 02:10 PM
Thank you for updating everyone!!!

Make certain your fathers pain is being managed 24/7. That was one of the hardest things for me when I first woke up. I hurt from head to toe like Id been run over by a truck. Sounds like your dad is doing so much better than I was as he's able to communicate thru writing to you. Swelling can take weeks to go down. Usually patients can see a big difference in the swelling subsiding in first week or 2 after the surgery.

Best wishes to your father for an easy and speedy recovery!!!!
Posted By: Vicky1 Re: Dad has his mandiblectomy today - 06-01-2018 11:20 PM
So, two days after surgery. He is up, sitting in a chair, had his first tube feeding and will start PT tomorrow. Swelling has gone down a lot. He can close his mouth all the way. His trach really freaked him out. He had a couple moments where he got to coughing, and secretions came up and he thought he was choking to death and practically got out of bed to clear his airway. That was scary. Today he seemed calmer and like he was getting used to it. How do they remove the trach and when? Is it scary for the patient to have it removed? The inside of his mouth is still swollen so it probably wont be for a little while. The skin they used from his leg to line his mouth is starkly white compared to his mouth. Its kind of gnarly to look at. It;s swollen so you can see it every time he opens his mouth. He said they're controlling his pain well.

The surgeon said the labs came back and there was no cancer in his lymph nodes and they got clear margins.

Do any of you who had a mandiblectomy have a partial denture on the side w/ no teeth? He's concerned about how he looks without his teeth on that side.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum