Posted By: lam007 Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 12:02 AM
Because medical marijuana isn't legal here I'm just asking hypothetical questions. Does it help? How does it help (pain, appetite, nausea)? What did your doctors have to say about it (open or closed to the idea)? How did you partake? Any concerns about vaporizing vs. ingesting?

We are coming up on week 3 and the roughest part is looming ahead.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 01:01 AM
My personal opinion is that MJ is very helpful.
Take a look at this thread on OCF: OCF posts
Smoking is a definite no no. Vaporizing was covered in this study Norml - Volcano study
Yeah, being illegal sucks. Hypothetically, I know a "friend" who has used the Volcano since diagnosis and it has let "him" conquer nausea, have an appetite, and drastically reduce prescription opiate drugs. But since it's illegal, direct open advocacy is not a viable option. But as I have posted before, each and every State that has instituted medical marijuana acknowledges its efficacy for cancer patients. The Federal government has had to overturn its administrative law judges findings and ignore every Presidential fact finding committee's recommendations to simply insist that although the DEA will not allow any studies, the lack of such studies proves their delusion. Catch 22.
Doctors are as blind as blind can be on this issue, either drinking the DEA Kool-Aid, or pushing bogus substitutes like Marinol. It's Don't Ask, Don't Tell here in the USA.
Ingestion is also a good alternative.
Keep the Faith
Charm
Posted By: EricS Re: Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 01:27 AM
If you don't want to spend the coin on the Volcano the Vtower is a less expensive alternative. Ingestion I'm not a fan of but have had a friend who swore by it like a time release method. Vaporizing allows more control . Appetite, mood, outlook, nausea, pain , sleep are benefits experienced by "some" . I'm an advocate of its use and hope that someday our federal government eases up on its use.

Eric
Posted By: lam007 Re: Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 01:32 AM
Thank you Eric and Charm. Anyone else out there with an opinion who is reluctant to share pubically, for or against, please PM me. Charm -- the thread you link to is the one that inspired the new post. I just didn't want to hijack it. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 11:23 AM
I'm so glad we have Charm and Eric to share their personal experiences and thoughts on Medical MJ. If I had known about the the benefits of Medical MJ when my son was going through the worst of his Rad Tx, and seeing how he was suffering with all the symptoms mentioned above, I would have done ANYTHING to find him some relief! My feeling is that "whatever works, DO it!"
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Medical marijuana - 01-03-2012 03:12 PM
Ron eats like crazy when he does partake in it. Wish he would do it more often really.
Posted By: David2 Re: Medical marijuana - 01-04-2012 06:32 PM
I'll add to the yes vote. Although I didn't use it much, and it is legal here so nothing was stopping me, it's surely helpful for appetite issues. Can't speak to its nausea-abating properties.

I also know that some people here have had bad/ineffectual experiences with the synthetic version, which in the States is called Marinol. My RO prescribed it for me and I found it helpful, so if that's an avenue for you to pursue you might think about it.

As far as vaporizing vs. eating.... never tried the former but the latter seemed effective to me. Just don't smoke the stuff!
Posted By: CMMoore Re: Medical marijuana - 02-10-2012 06:58 PM
Very helpful for nausea, appetite, anxiety, sleeplessness, comfort, all around benefit to the patient!!!!
Wish it were legalized all over.
Vaproizer has no real smell (so i hear)
Posted By: seattlepaul Re: Medical marijuana - 04-29-2012 06:32 PM
Never used Medical Marijuana, just recreational MJ, & THC (active ingredient), which does increase appetite, sense of well-being, relaxes mind & body, but smoking is as harmful as tobacco.
Effects diminish over use, so always have to increase dosage.
Ingestion is slower, more relaxed, never heard of study of benifit: need to pressure govt. to do so, but Right Wing will resist mightily.

Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Medical marijuana - 04-29-2012 11:55 PM
Paul

Great humor in this post two days before surgery ( yeah, that non medical marijuana - so different from medical). Seriously,.
Sorry to hear about a third time but trite as it sounds (and perhaps even annoying as I found it then -not so much now)
the fighting spirit you show in today's posts bodes well.
Oh, and after you beat the cancer again, then of course you would never smoke MJ, just vaporize it or continue your ingestion.
Charm
Posted By: Roselvr Re: Medical marijuana - 06-06-2012 04:47 PM
[quote=seattlepaul]Never used Medical Marijuana, just recreational MJ, & THC (active ingredient), which does increase appetite, sense of well-being, relaxes mind & body, but smoking is as harmful as tobacco.
Effects diminish over use, so always have to increase dosage.
Ingestion is slower, more relaxed, never heard of study of benifit: need to pressure govt. to do so, but Right Wing will resist mightily. [/quote]

Thanks for this.
I'm going to send a friend here who's hub is smoking it.
Where is the best info found that she can read about harmful effects of him smoking it?
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Medical marijuana - 06-06-2012 07:18 PM
Welcome to OCF. Although there are zero valid studies showing smoking marijuana causes cancer by itself, unlike tobacco, smoking anything at all is a big NO NO for any oral cancer patients. They should use a vaporizer or ingestion instead. Our tissues are just too traumatized for the damage that any smoking can do.

If your post means you are looking on harmful effects of MJ, the best misinformation and false statements can be gotten from the DEA which refuses to allow scientists to conduct studies to show the benefits that actually exist . Unfortunately, as the post you quoted states, the resistance to allowing studies is "mighty". That way all the logic impaired drug warriors can say with a straight face: there are no valid scientific studies showing Medical marijuana works so it must be bad. Luckily, many state legislators know cancer patients and know how helpful medical marijuana can be. As EricS once said to me about people who oppose medical marijuana laws:[quote] Why do all these people keep wanting to torture cancer patients?[/quote]
Here is a link I posted before from a judge who is a cancer patient and has seen the light of truth
New York Times: Medical MJ
hope you have recovered from your cancer
Charm.
Posted By: EricS Re: Medical marijuana - 06-06-2012 10:48 PM
Great post Charm and I firmly believe that statement by the way. In my book, use whatever tools you have to to make it through this thing alive.

Posted By: Roselvr Re: Medical marijuana - 06-07-2012 03:24 PM
[quote=Charm2017] Welcome to OCF. Although there are zero valid studies showing smoking marijuana causes cancer by itself, unlike tobacco, smoking anything at all is a big NO NO for any oral cancer patients. They should use a vaporizer or ingestion instead. Our tissues are just too traumatized for the damage that any smoking can do.

If your post means you are looking on harmful effects of MJ, the best misinformation and false statements can be gotten from the DEA which refuses to allow scientists to conduct studies to show the benefits that actually exist . Unfortunately, as the post you quoted states, the resistance to allowing studies is "mighty". That way all the logic impaired drug warriors can say with a straight face: there are no valid scientific studies showing Medical marijuana works so it must be bad. Luckily, many state legislators know cancer patients and know how helpful medical marijuana can be. As EricS once said to me about people who oppose medical marijuana laws:[quote] Why do all these people keep wanting to torture cancer patients?[/quote]
Here is a link I posted before from a judge who is a cancer patient and has seen the light of truth
New York Times: Medical MJ
hope you have recovered from your cancer
Charm. [/quote]

Thank you for the welcome. My hub was diagnosed 8/30/09 stage 4 tonsil HPV+. I'm disabled from back pain & have some what followed MJ for cancer & pain.

The gal who needs this has a hub that had a previous drug problem; they're both afraid for him to take anything for pain (I've suggested she lock it up & hand it as needed).. He had her dispose of his last medication & she found that he's been smoking & she's very pissed off. I know it's very beneficial but after seeing what my hub went through; can't imagine what smoking feels like on his throat; but figure if he can handle it; he's a grown man.. I hate to think he is in pain; with no pain killers plus he's depressed. I know what my hubs pain levels were during & after treatment & I can't imagine someone not having access to something.

What I'm concerned about is that he was sent to pain management; not sure if he started but if he did & he tests dirty; he may be ruining his chances for help now & later on if he's one left with pain. Pain management where I live is no joke; they regularly discharge people for various reasons. I know other states are following us. It's also not legal where they are.

I need something that I can give her a link so that she can let him read it for himself; even something that says smoking anything with oral cancer is a no-no.

I know MJ is legal in other countries; saw a documentary; so better info may be available elsewhere. I don't understand why the US is dragging their feet.
Posted By: Roselvr Re: Medical marijuana - 06-07-2012 03:59 PM
[quote=Charm2017]Take a look at this thread on OCF: OCF posts [/quote]

I'll have to come back & fully read this when I can spend more time here. I need a new board to go to; looks like a lot of helpful info
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Medical marijuana - 06-07-2012 04:20 PM
If the problem is that his pain management program has mandatory drug testing, then vaporizing or ingesting marijuana is not going to solve it. It sounds like he cannot have any medical MJ at all in any form.
I can't imagine how he is smoking MJ either after cancer TX, I tried it once and the pain was unbearable so I bought a Volcano vaporizer right away. Sorry but I do not know of any article or citation I could send you a link to share. All the reputable studies and reports on smoking after cancer involve tobacco, not MJ.
In fact, the National Cancer Institute of the National Institute of Health (NCI at NIH) page on marijuana shows that there is no statistical evidence of marijuana causing any cancer. It does show how helpful MJ is for cancer issues but that's only because France did some studies. Sad to say, when you click on links - it shows zero studies being done (since the DEA won't allow them)
NCI on MJ
Sorry I can't help here.
Charm
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Medical marijuana - 06-07-2012 05:03 PM
Roselvr

Now that you send me the PM with more info on your friend and her husband, it looks to me like you have given her all the advice anyone could have given. How kind of you to help her out considering all that you have gone thru yourself (a caregiver twice; the 1st was terminal leukemia for your dad; a smoker; 2nd stage 4 tonsil cancer for your hub; a smoker.)
Since you added that this guy is also smoking cigarettes then I can help out after all. Here is link to send her on the dangers of smoking cigarettes after cancer TX from the ACS
smoking & cancer TX especially this excerpt
[quote]The diagnosis of cancer and the rigors and side effects of the treatment are well-known to many of us. Perhaps what is not as well known is that is sometimes the seemingly �small stuff� that can make a huge difference in the outcome of cancer treatment. And, it isn�t �small stuff� when you survive your cancer yet continue to smoke, increasing your risk of another cancer years down the road.

When I was a younger physician in training we used to marvel at the patients with head and neck cancer who would continue smoking through a tracheotomy site, or other patients with end-stage lung cancer who would continue to smoke even as they were receiving intensive treatment.[/quote]
But as I said in my private message, since this guy is an alcoholic and former drug addict, reading anything is not going to change him in my experience.
Hope to see you around the forum - OCF is only a million times better than that other forum you found her query on.
Charm
Posted By: Erik Re: Medical marijuana - 07-26-2012 07:17 AM
It is by far THE most effective anti emetic, nerve pain reliever, appetite stimulant that I have found. You should stay away from smoking, but vaporizing and eating are very effective treatments. Keep on your legislators to wake up and legalize.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum