Posted By: Anne-Marie Transoral Robotic Surgery - 03-31-2012 11:23 AM
I was checking youtube recently to see if the segment with Toni Braxton had been posted (it hasn't), I saw a couple of postings for robotics being used in oral cancer surgery - so I decided to check OCF's news site and found the following article about the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine's use of robotics which appears to be so encouraging in providing a less invasive surgery option:

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/transoral-robotic-surgery-gets-fda-approval/

I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with this type of oral surgery?
Posted By: KP5 Re: Transoral Robotic Surgery - 03-31-2012 02:14 PM
Thanks Anne-Marie.
Posted By: MikeM Re: Transoral Robotic Surgery - 03-31-2012 03:46 PM
Anne-Marie, I've seen quite a few people mention TORS in OCF so you should get some good comments.
I'm about 12 weeks out since the surgery and very impressed with the results. In fact, once we learned of the technique it was the reason to do surgery rather than just extensive radiation / and possibly chemo.
After the radical tonsilectomy at Kaiser Walnut Creek, CA, I was swallowing water within 4 days, eating soft food soon after, and stopped the pain meds at about 10 days (4 in hospital, 6 at home).
The only way to go....
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Transoral Robotic Surgery - 03-31-2012 11:58 PM
That is wonderful, Mike! So glad to hear of your great recovery experience! It is amazing the great advances that are possible with research.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum