Posted By: GulfCoast Coping - 03-04-2018 02:48 PM
One of the things that is the most difficult through the process is dealing with the unknown. A sore throat, a swollen node, any new condition or just dealing with an uncertain future. I missed the days of worrying about little inconsequential things.

For me, I had seen people who talked out all of their problems with others. That method of relief wasn't in line with my personality. If I had a concern I told no one until after I had been to the doctor and gotten results back. I didn't want to concern anyone. Probably not the best approach. I kept myself busy with work and tired with exercise.

I was just curious how everybody managed the stress and anxiety.
Posted By: KristenS Re: Coping - 03-04-2018 03:26 PM
Managed? You mean we were supposed to manage?

I cried. I tried not to throw up (side effect of panic disorder, but not good for oral cancer patients). I did a lot of crafting for my miniatures. I neglected housework.

Come to think of it, still doing a lot of that...
Posted By: cougardad62 Re: Coping - 03-04-2018 10:29 PM
It was rough for me at first...had to pinch myself. 35 Rad treatments and 6 chemo. My attitude was I am going to beat this thing. I got a feeding tube and chemo port. I went from 260 to 197 at my low weight point. That all happened a year ago. Cancer free now with very aggressive post treatment! A good support group is great! Attitude is everything!
Posted By: Syzygy48 Re: Coping - 04-15-2018 05:33 PM
Cougardad62,

Curious to know what you mean by aggressive post treatment. Rehab etc? Other anti-cancer strategies?

Jay
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum