Posted By: Michelle Ann Notes From The Other Side - 03-15-2012 06:51 PM
Last year at this time, when I was enduring the worst of my treatment, I vowed that I would continue to go on this site and post whenever I could because I got so much help from others, especially from those who had made it to the other side. During those last days of treatment and into the first few weeks of recovery I was convinced that I wasn't going to ever see that other side. I got so much strength and hope from people who had been there. Since summer, I have not been very faithful to my pledge to stay in touch, but I am trying. Today I had my monthly laryngoscopy and all is well. Now that I have begun year two, I will have them every other month. A few weeks ago, I had my first annual CT Scan and that is clear. Blood work has shown hypothyroidism, but I am on a med for that and it is a predictable result of radiation. Why am I posting? To show that the other side exists. No matter how hard treatment is, you will get through it. Someone here told me to have patience. Oh how that was hard to hear but the best advice I got. If you are still in treatment, have patience; if you have begun recovery; have patience. Someone here said that he, after half a dozen years, barely remember that he went through this horrible disease. I am not there yet. Recovery was slow for me, painfully (literally) slow for me. My mouth is still always dry; eating is still hard if not soups and stews and ice cream; my neck is tender and my throat is still full of scar tissue and, for lack of a better word, gunk. Overall, though, life on the other side is good. I wish you all, no matter where you are today with your struggles, an abundance of blessings. -Michelle
Posted By: EricS Re: Notes From The Other Side - 03-15-2012 08:22 PM
Great post Michelle, thanks for sharing your experience and hope!

Posted By: Caco Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-11-2012 03:11 AM
smile
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-11-2012 04:20 AM
Very nice post, Michelle! Its very nice of you to remember to stop by and give others hope. I know recovery can seem like it takes forever and the improvements are not fast enough. Your post shows that even with some limitations, life after cancer can be good.

Thanks!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-11-2012 03:55 PM
Hugs girl despite it all you are doing great, and most importantly - HERE!! I'm on your heals. I started rads March 17 - finished May 4th last year... ;o)
Posted By: Kerri Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-11-2012 05:30 PM
Congrats, Michelle!

Thank you for sharing your view from the other side of the mountain. I think it's so important for others, especially new members, that you will get there eventually!

I am from Tewksbury, MA. May I ask where you had your treatment? I had mine at Mass Eye & Ear and Mass General.

So happy for you!

Kerri
Posted By: David2 Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-12-2012 04:27 PM
Terrific, Michelle. I could almost have written it, as our experiences have been similar. So glad to hear you're thriving!
Posted By: bbagby Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-13-2012 11:24 PM
I think the main theme of Michelle's comment is this: You WILL get through it. I had my hell last year starting about now and spent the rest of spring and all of summer wanting to die. I just couldn't stand the pain and misery I was experiencing. Yet, each day I kept trying to save myself. In my blog (benscancerfight.blogspot.com) I remember saying that my friends and family cared more about me than I did. It was true. Yet, here I am almost a year from the end of treatment doing pretty well. I have no idea if the cancer will return or not but I live today for today and enjoy the life I have now. For everyone going through this: just hang in there. Things will be better.
Posted By: jonp Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-19-2012 09:55 AM
Awesome!
Posted By: Barb Re: Notes From The Other Side - 04-19-2012 06:32 PM
How wonderful that you are doing well after 2 years. I suffered from dry mouth for a few years and it finally eased up. There is some kind of toothpaste, mouthwash and throat spray that helps that. Ask your ENT if you can use anything.
meanwhile enjoy each day and congratulations!
Blessings
barb~
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum