Posted By: Journey27 Biopsy Update - 04-13-2018 07:57 PM
I had my tongue biopsy one week ago today. It was an excisional biopsy of a lesion about 1 cm x 1cm plus margins. Stitches already fell out within 48 hours.

The excision site has some redness in it the last two days. Not bleeding, but it wasn't red earlier in the week. Still pretty painful to chew. I've had some solid food, but it's been difficult. Also, talking is excruciating, and as I mentioned in my first post, talking is my livelihood. I went back on the air yesterday, and man, it hurt! Felt like I was over-enunciating to be able to say anything at all!

Today I've also had some pain along my neck, just under my jawline, on the same side as the tongue lesion was. I think my fiancee believes I'm obsessing over this (she's right) and that these additional pains are just my anxiety over waiting for the results. Anyone else have this experience? By the way, I go in for my follow-up and to get biopsy results next Wednesday, 4/18.

Thanks for the insights.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Biopsy Update - 04-13-2018 08:39 PM
Journey27,

Were you told, and following any follow-up care and or medication? I recall my tongue biopsies to be painful as the tongue has many nerves, and bleeds more too. I would mention all this to your doctor on Wednesday or see if they can move your up your visit to Monday or request meds to cover you til then, and any follow-up care. If it gets worse or continues, you can always go to the ER.

Not sure if this helps?

Paul
Posted By: Journey27 Re: Biopsy Update - 04-13-2018 08:46 PM
Paul, thanks for your words. I was given the usual, Norco, Ibuprofen, antibiotics, steroids to keep swelling down. Also told to do saltwater rinses twice a day, which I have been doing. Honestly, the pain meds haven't really helped much.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Biopsy Update - 04-13-2018 11:27 PM
Hi Journey27

You surely have an array of medicarions! I don’t take ibuprohen due to my kidneys, but take Tylenol instead. Maybe a higher dosage or another type of opioid will do the trick, if the doctor agrees. I’ve always taken Percocet, which is a stronger opioid, I believe. Mouth pain usually subsided over a few weeks after a tongue biopsy. Hopefully it’s not cancerous, but that’s what the biopsy was about or an infection, which needs antibiotics, a different type medication you’re been taking.

Best of luck, and wishes that the biopsy is negative, and pain subsides from surgery! Do the salt water rinses as advised as I did them too frown and seemed to have helped!

Paul
Posted By: KristenS Re: Biopsy Update - 04-14-2018 01:46 AM
Call about the pain, if you can. I have taken combinations of those meds, and in fact am recuperating from a repeat dental procedure that went badly, and it's amazing how sometimes they work for me and sometimes they don't work at ALL. Since one of them is also a migraine supplement for me, this gets really frustrating. Anyway, I'm right where you are with the pain medications at the same time, and am also feeling frustrated, which is why your post caught my eye. I'm alternating and doubling up on some of mine. (But ONLY because I've had these meds before and know I am allowed to do so ... which is why I'm not being specific here; it's the sort of thing you need to make sure your doctor okays.)

When I was in radiation treatment and hit a pain wall, my oncologist went in a completely different pain direction and added a pain patch, which helped the gaps from other medications (different ones at the time). There are options out there ... please ask and see if they'll find one for you!

((hugs))
Posted By: Syzygy48 Re: Biopsy Update - 04-15-2018 05:26 PM
Journey,

I'm curious to know a little bit more of your story. I've been a broadcaster for 20 years. I'm going to send you a direct message.

Jay
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum