Posted By: skp1961 Eye Irritation - 04-30-2012 02:04 PM
My husband is experiencing severe eye irritation as a side effect from the chemo drugs he is receiving. He is having excessive watering, sensitivity to light, and blurry vision at a distance. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for getting some relief?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Eye Irritation - 04-30-2012 02:27 PM
I didn't have that severity of eye issues but I can tell you my eyesight was very much effected - tell the radiation dr or his MO. They can switch his chemo. Hugs and good luck!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Eye Irritation - 04-30-2012 03:14 PM
Make sure the doctor is aware of how much this is bothering your husband. Do not let him have another dose of this. Its not one of the usual side effects. The doctor should be changing the chemo if he is having a reaction like that.

Also be alert for any hearing changes as that could be a big problem too.
Posted By: klo Re: Eye Irritation - 05-04-2012 12:46 PM
Hi Skip

Without knowing exactly what your husband's treatment is, it is difficult to guage if Alex might have had the same thing.

I remember being warned about sensitivity to light and Alex's eyesight definitely declined and I think we blamed cisplatin but it might have been the 5FU.

Alex feels that his eyesight has started to normalise over the last 12 months though.

As others have already suggested, it is important to tell your MO before having another dose, as they may be able to change the type of chemo.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum