Posted By: Dawnb Chemicals cause of start of cancer??? - 04-22-2012 06:09 PM
I have always wondered if my husbands cancer on his larynx which is very rare could of stemmed from a chemical exposure. Last May he was cleaning out some clogged kitchen pipes and had used a strong drain opener, somehow this came in contac with bleach and he must of inhaled a good bit. I remember him calling me and saying he about killed himself, he had gone outside and coughed and gagged for a half hour. This was May and a few months later, August his voice was having issues which led him to the ENT and was diagnosed with cancer. I don't know if it makes a big difference on what led to the start of cancer but maybe if it was environmental and it has been removed and treated with rads and chemo it might not return whereas if it something in his body chemistry it may have the possibly of recurring. Just something I have wondered and maybe someone may have some insight.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Chemicals cause of start of cancer??? - 04-22-2012 07:58 PM
I think it's possible. Chronic irritation or long term exposure to chemicals and cigarettes can cause lung cancer, I imagine the same can be said for some other cancers.. However a one time exposure isnt likely to cause irreparable damage, the body is generally very good at repairing itself. Though it may have aggravate an already existing issue.

As for recurrences, it think it's in gods hands - however, nutrition, and overall health ( activity etc.) are what the cancer patient can take care of on their own to try and prevent it.

Hugs!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Chemicals cause of start of cancer??? - 04-22-2012 09:56 PM
I would agree with Cheryl. I would think chronic irritation can do that type of damage to the body but not a one time thing. Ive seen many members come thru who have no known cause. Im sure it must be very frustrating not knowing what made him get sick. I am one to focus more on healing and getting better than the why. Too many variables make it next to impossible to know what caused it. Has he been tested for HPV? That is a major cause of most base of tongue or throat cancers.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum