Posted By: Alcajazz Ear Pain - 04-02-2012 02:22 AM
Hi all,

How common is ear pain as a symptom of OSC? I've had recurrent, persistent ear pain in my left ear on and off for a month now. My diagnosis was severe epithelial dysplasia on my left maxillary gingiva last summer, with tissue removed in July, August & September. Since then, I've had some facial nerve pain and numbness that has mostly subsided. I've been examined by an ENT, an oral pathologist, and a neurologist in December, January, and February and had a CT Scan of my facial bones & sinuses in December and all is clear. I also had a root canal in December in the same area which my endodontist said likely caused the nerve pain. It's all been on the left side of my face. No apparent swollen nodes at this time. Could we have missed something? Any advice?

Thanks so much for your thoughts. You guys are the best!

Nick

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Ear Pain - 04-02-2012 12:54 PM
Persistant ear pain is one of main common symptoms of oral cancer. Many oral cancers are not found until the late stages as many patients exhibit no recognizable symptoms. Myself, I had what I thought was a canker sore for a few months. I did not have ear or facial pain.

It sounds like you have seen many doctors and had many tests done. Count your blessings that you do NOT have oral cancer! Not all dysplasia turns into cancer. My advice would be if you are not satisfied with the doctors you have seen to keep looking for someone who will do more tests.

Hope you continue to not need to be here. Best wishes!
Posted By: AnneO Re: Ear Pain - 04-02-2012 10:51 PM
Hi,
I experienced ear pain that was not a result of my oral tongue cancer but instead TMJ. The TMJ was most probably from tension as a result of my anxiety, etc, at the time. When I was told by a dentist specializing in oral cancer patients that this was what it was, I was able to relax and discover that indeed it was the way I was holding my jaw, etc.

While I know that TMJ can cause ear pain, when you are an oral cancer patient it is alarming, and you should not ignore this symptom, but be aware that it could simply be muscular tension.

Best,
Anne
Posted By: Nawkaw Re: Ear Pain - 04-09-2012 11:00 AM
Actually Pain in the ear can occur because of conditions within the ear, the ear canal, or affecting the visible portion of the ear.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ear Pain - 04-09-2012 02:31 PM
Everyone's advice here is good and correct... Do have it checked out though, it could be an ear infection but definitely have it looked at. smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum