Posted By: scared kim Inner Cheek Lump - 09-19-2011 03:37 PM
Hi,

Has anyone on this board have any knowledge or experience with having a painfull lump INSIDE of the inner cheek ??
Im reading alot about tongue cancer but cant seem to find anything about lumps in cheek
Thanks for any response

Scared Kim
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-19-2011 07:50 PM
There are a few people here's who've had scc of the cheek. I'm sure they'll chime in. it's very similar treatment to tongue though... (surgery - possibly a flap replacement of the area depending on size) But it does tend to move a little differently if it spreads, I did leave you a note on the intro page. From one Canuck to another.. Take care and good luck!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 01:53 AM
Hi Kim! i have had several cancerous tumors inside my cheek. Mine looked like canker sores, small irregular white spots. They were about the size of the tip of an eraser. When I felt them on the outside of my cheek, I felt a lump.

Cancerous tumors on the inside of your cheeks are treated differently than a patient with tongue cancer. I have had oral cancer 3 times, the first 2 times were tumors inside my cheek. I had 2 separate spots the first time and only 1 spot the second time. The first time I had oral cancer I was treated with chemo and radiation to kill both of the tumors. It worked and I was cancer free but I was also unlucky and it came back. This time it was treated with surgery. My ENT scooped the tumor out and had clean margins.

If your sore has been inside your mouth for 2 weeks or longer then go to an ENT who is familiar with oral cancer patients and get it checked. If you are a smoker, then that could be irritating your mouth and making it harder for the sore to heal. In any given time there are all kinds of different things that can happen inside your mouth. Do not panic, if you are worried then get it checked out. Only thru a biopsy will you know for certain what it is.

Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you may have, best wishes!!!!
Posted By: scared kim Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 07:43 AM
Thanks for all answers. I will be making many calls tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

Now I just found a little sore bump on my lip !!
Geez what else can happen.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 01:07 PM
Kim, do you smoke? How old are you?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 03:43 PM
Good luck with the call making. Christine. I have to ask because I know a few people who've had cheek cancers, and they were treated with surgery first. Is that unusual? Sorry. I'm not overly familiar with cheek cancer that's why I'm asking... take care.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 04:38 PM
Its still SCC. It was just located on the inside of my cheek vs side or tongue, etc. Since I had 2 separate tumors, I was first treated with chemo and radiation which did cure me so surgery wasnt necessary. My recurrence was on the inside of my cheek close to the first spot. This was surgically removed. I would think many factors come into play when it comes to how someone is treated. Its not always just surgery, a free flap is not usually necessary. Again, that all depends on size of the tumor, something small wont need a free flap. My doc was able to scoop it out with clean margins. The only thing I noticed on the outside was I lost my dimple when he did that surgery. Not many members on OCF have a tumor on the inside of their cheeks.
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 05:28 PM
Cheryl, Surgery and/or Chemo and/or Radiotherapy - alone or in combination are standard protocol for SCC treatment. The sequence (Surgery followed by RT or CCRT) and the need (for further treatment) is decided on various parameters like size, location of tumor, structures invaded and risk.

In cases of lateral tongue SCC, I have seen most having surgery first followed by CCRT, if required but that may not be always the only way. My father had surgery first (Partial glossectomy with Selective Neck dissection) but the excised structures and nodes had extracapsular extension, perineural and vascular invasion were present. This mandated him having 59.3 Gy/33 RT with 6 x weekly Cisplatin inj.

The second time, he had his nodal mass in close proximity to critical structures in neck and his surgeon wanted to explore possibility to reducing tumor size to get sufficient margin and go with less radical surgery, hence he asked for Chemotherapy first (3 x DCF regimen), which did not meet with much success in local control but probably (I am hoping) would have prevented further distant mets. He had a radical neck dissection and now is being followed up with 60 Gy/30 Unilateral Re-radiation (very aggressive treatment) ending tomorrow.
Posted By: scared kim Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-20-2011 06:35 PM
Hi Christine,
Yes I have been smoking for 30 years, I know, very bad.
And I used to drink heavily on weekends about 5 years ago.
That at least has stopped. And cancer does run in my family.
I will be 46 next month.
I am waiting for a call back, from my primary Dr. to say he will refer me to our local ENT. I called the ENT office this morning explaining everything and they said they can usually get biopsy patients in within 6 weeks, but would likely be earlier. Like I said earlier, I now have a sore on my bottom lip where I usually put the cigarette to take my puffs. Now I am really freaking out. I am almost in tears , Im so scared. I am very frustrated as well. I dont know what else to do !! I just need to know as I already have anxiety issues.

Thanks for listening, I dont even talk to my hubby about it because he has no clue how serious this could be, I have no one to talk to except you lovely people on this forum.

All the best,
Kim
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 12:03 AM
Kim, as a former smoker, I know how hard it can be to quit. I hope this is nothing more than a wake up call for you. Since you are a smoker, the cigarettes are irritating your sores. Do the best you can to cut back on your smoking. If you havent spoken to your family doctor about this then I would suggest you do so right away. If you dont have cancer at this time, do you want to up your odds of getting it? Even worse would be if you really did have cancer and continued to smoke making things even worse. Anyone who has cancer and continues to smoke will only significantly up their chances of having a recurrence. PLEASE quit!!!!! Do it for yourself, not anyone else.

When I was diagnosed with oral cancer the first time, I was on my way for a feeding tube consult. The light bulb finally went on and the reality of becoming a cancer patient due to smoking made me angry. I decided right then and there that I had smoked my last cigarette and threw the whole pack out the window. I told my son i would never smoke another cigarette in my life. That was over 4 years ago, I have not smoked a cigarette since. I have not even been tempted. I figured why should I tempt fate by continuing to smoke.

I know you are afraid. Its so scary thinking you have cancer. The mind sure plays tricks on you! You start to think all kinds of "what if's". This is enough to make anyone nuts!!! Do yourself a favor and calm down, relax! IF and that is a HUGE IF, you have cancer then you are in the right place to get help. We will help you as much as we possibly can. So keep busy, clean out your closets, do your family ancestry, clean out the basement or garage, paint a room in your house. Do positive things to stay busy to make the time fly by until you get checked out.

I am concerned about the spot that has appeared where you put your cigarette on your lip. That place is where you are taking in the most chemicals. Please get rid of the cigs!!!!!
Posted By: scared kim Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 01:57 PM
Good Morning Everyone,

GOOD NEWS!!, I pushed yesterday to my Primary Dr. to get an URGENT appointment with the ENT and this morning they called me with an appt at the hospital for a possible biospy in 2 days
(Friday). Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice given to me. I dont know what I would do if I didnt have this great forum to go to, as I said, I do have a husband but cannot really talk to him about this right now. He will get involved if I test positive , I know that for sure, already been through a cancer scare on my pancreas. I already feel like your my friends, and I appreciate that.

Wishing everyone a good day
Kim
Posted By: patrick2128 Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 02:12 PM
Please listen to christine. from what i read on this site she is a very informed person . the most important thing you can do for yourself is quit smoking. I know its hard as i quit smoking 3 packs of kools back in 1985 cold turkey. i could pick up a cigarette and smoke it right now so you never loose the urge. i take it one day at a time. today i chose not to smoke. good luck and god bless that its not cancer we'er rooting for you. pat
Posted By: Brian0703 Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 02:33 PM
Hi Kim, I am glad you got in to see the doc and don't have to wait. I have an appointment on Tuesday, finally, so I know what the waiting is like. It is terrible.

I also can't talk to my wife because she doesn't understand my concern at this point, but would help if things ended up being a problem. It is a lonely feeling right now.

I hope you get good news.
Posted By: scared kim Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 03:45 PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for telling me that. It is very lonely right now.
Wee can keep each other company with our waiting.
May I ask what you are going to dr. for ? Are you getting a biopsy on Tues ? Hoping all goes well for you. Keep us posted.
And as the other poster said, Christine has been great help.
I have quit smoking date on Monday. Wish me luck. Nobody better come around me for awhile LOL

Take care, Kim
Posted By: Brian0703 Re: Inner Cheek Lump - 09-21-2011 04:02 PM
I quit dipping about a year ago (well, 10 months ago). My gum in the primary spot where I used to dip has me concerned, and I also have had tongue sensitivity for a good while on the other side which I will have him look at.

My appointment is with a top oral surgeon who apparently has a lot of experience with cancer and oral pathology (this is technically a 3rd opinion, I guess). I need him to look at this spot so I can sleep at night, or so he can take a biopsy (or biopsies) to make sure and I can get it taken care of asap if there is something wrong.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum