Posted By: Michaelii Strange Sensation in my Throat - 04-17-2011 04:54 PM
Hello everyone!! I am back from the deep and decided to post a quick note for selfish reasons mainly. I found my time on the boards to be very therapeutic for my journey and as I face the newest challenge - I feel pulled toward the healing power here.

Over the last 6 years I've had hundreds and hundreds of "close calls" or scared periods where I was sure this lump, or that nodule was a recurrence.

After "celebrating" the infamous 5 year mark, I turned down the vigilance and constant worry a notch or two.

So many times a Dr would say "Looks good to me", or "I don't see anything here to worry about", "I think this is scar tissue", "that's part of the normal healing process", "We see this as a side-effect of the radiation", or "Let's see you again in 6 months"...

I think I became a bit anesthetized to the roller-coaster ride.

A friend and local oncologist put it this way...(+/-)
"My job is to keep you somewhere between: A) total paranoia or panic AND B) total denial and mania"

So, I've tried to stay between the lines.

A few weeks back I noticed my neck was feeling a bit "off", more than the usual cramping, kinked, surgery/radiation side effects which linger still, and more on the LEFT side this time.

Over the last few days I've had the feeling that there is a lump in my throat. At first I just dismissed it, thinking maybe I'd swallowed a big vitamin pill a bit wrong and as has happened dozens of times, I'll get the strange sensation of a pill being lodged in my throat - that can last the whole day, even though I might know full well the actual pill went down hours before.

This time, the sensation didn't subside at all and into the night it continued.

I think the next morning, as expected, the sensation was gone.

But, later that morning, the feeling returned. Almost feeling like acid-reflux or food wanting to come back up, I shrugged, thinking it's an unintended consequence of my recent return to over eating.

But, although the sensation goes away for brief periods, and is hardly noticeable when I first wake up, this feeling of a lump in my throat, inside my throat, continues for these several days.

I've gently felt around the exterior of my neck for any nodes, lumps or other foreign mass, but don't feel anything out of place.

The feeling in the throat is quite noticeable however and seems to be more pronounced when I am swallowing and I "feel" like it's lower than I might expect a recurrence to be, it almost feels like it's just above my stomach, almost in my chest area, and I've been clearing my throat quite a bit more lately, had some sinus stuff more and find myself worrying about the worst case scenario.

I've made the first available appointment with the ENT, but that is a couple weeks out.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Strange Sensation in my Throat - 04-18-2011 02:56 PM
Michaelii,

I had the same feeling as you. When I went to Moffitt Cancer Center I told the surgeon I think I also have throat cancer I have this feeling in my throat just like you stated above.

My surgeon told me you don't have throat cancer you have acid reflux. He put me on Nexium within a week it was gone.

At times I get that sensation, but I think it's something I ate because the next morning it's gone. I'll be on Nexium forever that's fine with me.

Also if I massage my throat and neck area it seems to help with the scar tissue I feel my neck and throat are closing in.

Just thought I would pass this along just in case.

Connie
Posted By: bethers0808 Re: Strange Sensation in my Throat - 04-26-2011 07:03 AM
Connie probably hit the nail on the head here. I have a hiatal hernia, and have been dealing with that since before my cancer diagnosis, and a lot of times, i have had the same issue/feeling.
I was on Kapidex for it, and that was an amazing med. I could eat almost anything and never have heartburn. Well then my stupid insurance decided i didn't need it anymore, and now I am trying different meds, and have that stupid feeling/issue back.
So I will hope for you that it is just acid reflux issue like for me and connie above, and hope they give you some good meds to get it under control!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum