Posted By: travelottie General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-04-2018 06:56 PM
My husband is 10 yrs post treatment. He has had one dental extraction with delayed healing, leading to debridement of a section of mandible (possible early stage ORN which has remained stable for over a year), increasing difficulty swallowing (swallow test performed--cough reflex remain adequate), etc. We are now on to the next complication...He needs surgery for a kidney stone and general anesthesia is being recommended by the urologist. I am concerned about intubation post radiation. He was intubated once for oral surgery, but that was done by an oral cancer team so I was confident in their skill.

Other than consulting with anesthesiologist and alerting everyone to these issues, is there anything else I should consider? I plan to discuss situation with ENT and hematologist/oncologist. Primary care physician has suggested checking into spinal anesthesia.

Anyone have insight or experience with intubation post radiation therapy?
Posted By: PaulB Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-04-2018 10:14 PM
Hi, and Happy New Year Travelottie!

I’m sorry for the new troubles! As far as anesthesia, I’ve had it multiple times, including for a Mandibulectomy. A few times the anesthesiologist intubated me nasally due to trismus while being awake, not really as they sedated me, and was knocked out!

The last time for the fibula reconstruction the anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon, who was partnered with my ENT for the jaw surgery, felt it was possible, and best to use twilight anesthesia to reduce possible complications associated with general anesthesia due to my history, and high creatinine/low GFR.

I did have my peg removed by the gastrologist, not at the CCC though, in 2013, and was awakened from twilight anesthesia by pain from them pulling it out through my mouth, had had to be held me down by three of them, and given more IV sedation. They did find I have barrets esophagus, so unfortunately, I need yearly endoscopes, plus doing a few dialations since. I told every single person at the local hospital involved about my history, and pain incident, and again before being fully sedated, they put this plastic mouth donut plug in my mouth again to access the throat, and hurt so much I was held down again, and quickly given more IV sedation. This was before my ORN surgery, at which time my ENT said my jaw was fractured when it wasn’t before. It could have been from the ORN itself, but I didn’t rule out it was from the endoscopy.

I’ve had kidney stone surgery probably in 2011 where they lasered them, put in a stent. I don’t remember what type anesthesia I had.

Other than that, I’ve heard of acupuncture for some surgeries, not sure of the type surgery though.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-04-2018 11:07 PM
Im very sorry to read about your husbands continuing post rads issues. Ive had several surgeries since the mandibulectomies in 2009. I always end up having a long chat with the anesthesiologist during my per-admission testing. I was surprised every anesthesiologist Ive met with over the years has been able to put me out by putting very thin tube up my nose and down my throat. Having severe trismus, I was surprised this was able to be done. I was only partially awake when this was done once and I barely remember it as I was already pretty groggy by what they gave me thru my IV.

I suggest speaking to the surgeon at length and also the anesthesiologist. They will need your husbands history and to know all about any post rads issues he may have besides the obvious, what hes having surgery for.

Best wishes with the upcoming surgery!!! Pleas let us know how your husband makes out and how he did with the anesthesiologist.
Posted By: travelottie Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-05-2018 02:03 PM
Thank you Christine and Paul. It is comforting to hear back from caring forum members.

I have already alerted all the MDs involved to Bob's history. I will make certain that we have a comprehensive evaluation by the anesthesia department and not just a cursory exam. I forgot about possibility of nasal intubation.

I will wait and see what plan is suggested before I panic. It's easy to overreact when you've been through so much, things are stable, and you are trying to avoid another set of complications...

Happy New Year,
Lottie

Posted By: KristenS Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-05-2018 09:50 PM
Gah, this makes me realize how many MORE questions we should have asked before my recent oral surgery. (The dental extractions.) On the plus side, I know they did the tube down my throat (because it hurt like the dickens afterwards) and as far as I can tell, there were no complications from it that were any worse than my continuing reflux problems post-radiation. Will that help reassure you? I'm in the headed-for-dentures process right now, healing and waiting to be ready for molds, so probably not as far along as your husband is, but the tube wasn't as bad as it could have been. Though it did hurt more than I recall it hurting after surgeries pre-radiation.

Kristen
Posted By: travelottie Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-24-2018 04:21 PM
Updating after surgery:
It took persistence on my part, but I did get anesthiologist to stop and listen to my concerns regarding intubation. They used a small size flexible tube with no problem. The RN anesthetist payed more attention and checked mouth opening and neck restrictions. That's when I knew it would be ok.

I wrote a note for recovery room to withhold oral liquids until fully awake, sitting up, and able to produce a vigorous cough.

Unfortunetly, problem was encountered reaching the kidney stone with laser equipment (happens in 5% of cases) so has to be repeated in 2 wks, but that's another story. On the one hand, this is minor compared to cancer and its tx., but we do feel increasing vulnerability with each subsequent medical issues.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-24-2018 04:49 PM
Thanks for the update. Too bad about not being a successful removal of the kidney stones. Hope next time works and is easier.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: General anesthesia/Intubation - 01-24-2018 05:19 PM
Sorry about the need to repeat the surgery, but you truly did a fantastic job as a caregiver.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum