Posted By: ak123 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-03-2015 04:57 AM
With deep, deep, deep sadness my brother who was 23 years old passed away on October 29,2015. So much happened to my brother in the end it was crazy. His neck opened up and he had a wound taking up his whole neck. The wound was the size of a watermelon. Two weeks ago we had to do an emergency surgery to put a trach in so he can breathe better and be more "comfortable" on October 29th at 4:55 a.m. My brother bleed out and he bleed out in my arms. His artery bursted. He was gone within minutes. I am so so so sad and very depressed. This stupid disease!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-03-2015 08:35 AM
Oh no , what terrible news. I am so saddened to read this post. Brandon fought so hard to beat this . How shite is this disease to take a young man in his prime.
Never forget that you have been a wonderful Caregiver, Advocate and support person to Brandon. I hope that in time , you will remember all the good times. The times he made you laugh and smile. His strength in the face of adversity.
My heart goes out to you and your Family. Take care
Rest in Peace Brandon.
Tammy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-03-2015 11:26 AM
Im so very sorry!!!!

There arent words to express how truly sorry I am for your loss. I hope you know that you did everything you could. You had been there for Brandon every step of the way and went above and beyond for him. Brandon was lucky to have you not just as a supportive caregiver but also as his sister.

Rest in peace, Brandon.

((((HUGS))))

Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-03-2015 05:04 PM
AK123

I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. My heart is broken for you and your family.

I lost my mom on April 22,2015 just 6 months ago exactly the same way. I know exactly how you feel . My mom also had an open wound on her neck and her carotid Artery blew . Within minutes my mom was gone. I am having such a hard time dealing with the loss if my mom to this horrific disease .

I still read the forum quit often . For some reason It just seems to bring me closer to my mom . I posted for a year as my mom battled for her life.
If I can be of any help please message me . Just to talk helps .

I'm going to send you a private message with my phone number . I'd like to talk if you don't mind . I'm sure we share some of the same experiences.

You can also go back and read my thread of my past post. It's under Sweetpe.

My name is Heidi

Prayers to your family
Posted By: Virgo Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 12:39 AM
AK123,

I am very, very sorry for your loss. Please remember people don't lose their battle against cancer. Cancer never, NEVER wins.

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit. Author: Unknown

I know it's hard to think of it this way, but Brandon won.

I wish you and your family peace.

Virgo

Posted By: Uptown Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 12:43 AM
ak123, my sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved brother. May your heart be soothed over time.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 09:32 AM
Oh my, Oh my - Ashley! I am so sorry to hear this! I can't find words . . . . the tears are flowing . . . . such a horrific disease - and to take one so young. You have been such a good sister and caregiver to Brandon and in helping your whole family to do all you could for him. Hold each other close and stay close to us here, too. It does help to share and to know that we all hold you close in our hearts and share the hurt you are feeling.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: LuvMyMawMaw Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 01:32 PM
Bless You and Your Family AK123. Unfortunately i know the pain all to well that your family is enduring right now. I lost my precious Grandmother to Squamous cell Carcinoma in April of this year after a 13 month battle with this terrible disease. We tried everything to rid her body of that disease. The damage the Cancer and treatments did to her artery proved to much as it caused her Carotid to bleed out and she was gone within a minute. I pray people on this forum with the same issues ( open wound) in the neck talk to their Dr about the possibility of this catastrophic possibility happening to them. Our Dr's did not really prepare us for a bleed out. Im sure they hope it wont happen but it is possible. Again Bless You and your family. I hope you find comfort knowing you were an amazing Caregiver to your precious brother.
Posted By: Di66 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-04-2015 09:27 PM
How very very sad I am to read your post , Bless you and your family. You are a wonderful sister and care giver to your brother , may he rest in peace . I am crying for you , sending you big understanding hugs . This is a cruel cruel disease xxx
Posted By: Alpaca Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-05-2015 07:55 AM
My deepest sympathy for the loss of your brother.
Posted By: PaulB Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-05-2015 02:02 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.
Posted By: donfoo Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-06-2015 05:08 AM
I am so sorry to hear the news of the loss of your brother. Thank you for communicating this sad news to his family here at OCF.
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-08-2015 12:38 AM
Sorry for the news, you were/are a great sister so be proud of that and keep the good memories of him close to your heart. Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: msweet2995 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-10-2015 08:24 PM
So sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you
Posted By: Kerri Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-12-2015 05:34 AM
Dear Ashley,

I am deeply saddened to hear of this terrific loss.

A young man, with an entire life ahead of him taken so early...life is unfair.

He was fortunate to have you as his support. You couldn't have done anything differently. You did the best thing for him by being there during the scariest of times.

May you soon remember the fond memories and how Brandon lived, rather than how he died.

Please be sure to seek help for yourself, as you have been through a very traumatic experience. It's time to take care of you. Please come back for our love and support.

Love in OCF,
Kerri
Posted By: HorseGirl Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-13-2015 03:31 PM
Ashley, I'm so very sorry this happened. You were so brave, and what a comfort you must have been to your brother. I'll be thinking of you.

Posted By: Susan2992 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-16-2015 02:23 AM
Ashley,

I am so very sorry about Brandon. There isn�t anything I or anyone can say that will take away the sorrow you and your family are going through right now. In time, the hurt will lessen but it will never go away. Focus on the happy memories and know that you did everything possible for Brandon. You were a wonderful sister and caregiver.

May Brandon rest in peace. Hugs and prayers to you and your family
Posted By: kenswife Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-24-2015 04:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your brother, especially at such a young age. My husband's artery also blew so I know the trauma you experienced. Hang on to the good memories and make sure to give yourself time to grief and seek out help if needed.
Posted By: ak123 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 04-27-2016 03:35 AM
I want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful and kind words and the amazing support this group has always given me! Thank you Christine and Anna-Marie for the beautiful cards sent to our home.

It has been 6 months without my brother and it's been very tough. It hurts to even get out of bed. Life is not the same without him in it. He was the staple to our family. He fought the fight so hard and suffered so much. I am constantly praying for everyone with cancer and all caregivers because I know how hard it is. I know that I didn't feel my brothers side effects but I did see them all and they effect me until this day. When I swallow my own saliva I think, "how unfair that he didn't have saliva anymore". When I sleep on my side I think how unfair that he couldn't even move his neck. So many things make me think of how unfair this cancer is!

Today is his birthday and he would have been turning 24 years old. I would love for you all to see how wonderful of a person my brother was. We made a video in his memory.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lb1NNczzVY8&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: tamvonk Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 04-27-2016 07:57 AM
Ashley, what a beautiful tribute to Brandon. This made me smile and this made me cry. What a gorgeous young man. He has left a loving legacy with his Family.
He would be wanting you to smile and keep living, to be enjoying life.
Thinking of you all,
Tammy
Posted By: Neicy Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 04-28-2016 04:28 AM
A beautiful video and tribute. Wishing you and your family the best. Denise
Posted By: travelottie Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 04-28-2016 03:20 PM
What a beautiful brother and family - the warmth comes through in the video. This disease is bad enough for those of us who have lived most of our lives cancer free, but in the young, it is truly heartbreaking.

Thinking of you,
Lottie
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 05-21-2016 02:44 AM
Ashely,

Thank you for sharing that video with us. It made me cry and also made me smile seeing what a loving family you have.

I often think of you and Brandon. I know you and your family will never forget your little brother, but in time the painful memories will fade and will be replaced by all the happy and loving times you shared as a family.
Posted By: Scaredwife Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 06-28-2016 02:46 AM
Ak123-
My heart hurts so much for you. This horrible cancer has ruined so many lives and taken those we love. I'm so so saddened for you. The video you posted was amazing. I have to admit though, I couldn't watch the whole thing, it hurts too bad💔. I'm sure you feel so alone, but please know you're in my thoughts and prayers!!!! I feel so guilty- this year has been the worst of my life, but my husband is still fighting to be a survivor for a second time through this. Your brother is gone, and I thought my pain through all of this was bad... I'm so very sorry. I'm so sorry 😥. It's so not fair.
Posted By: Maxx1987 Re: 23 year old brother passed away :( - 11-29-2017 08:37 PM
ak123, I was so devastated to learn the story about your brother. Such a young beautiful man has gone. He had the whole life ahead of him but suddenly one day everything can change. frown
Great youtube video. Unfortunately, this type of cancer appears to attack more and more young people.
Very sorry for your loss. Although some time has passed, I am sure you are missing him.
HUGS
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum