Posted By: Melba Plant diet? - 02-13-2018 03:52 PM
My husband's PMD highly recommends a plant-based diet. Has anyone else here received such medical advice? I am only asking to get some support, hoping others who are moving towards a vegan way of eating can offer some advice on the transition. My husband has a younger doctor who was trained that nutrition is the first line of defense. Just because he got cancer does not mean his heart disease went away! We are now committed to eating a healthier diet. Trust me, when my husband was struggling with food aversion and swallowing was his biggest challenge, ice cream and Ensure helped him survive. He did what he had to do to avoid a feeding tube. Now, however, he is swallowing well if slowly and wants to focus on his heart issues. We are in about week 4, I'm already losing weight and feel better, the husband is at a good weight and maintaining but, sigh, its tough to give up meat and we cheat sometimes, but less and less. If you have gone vegan and are doing well, id like to hear from you. did you give up vegetable oil?
Posted By: Crapshack Re: Plant diet? - 03-24-2018 04:05 AM
Vegan meat substitutes! There are a bunch of really yummy ones. Vegan ground beef generally tastes the exact same, and so do vegan chicken nuggets. Meatballs (when drenched in sauce) are also very interchangeable. I'm currently a pescatarian so I only eat seafood otherwise I can't keep weight on, but I really love the vegan options for meat-cravings.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Plant diet? - 03-30-2018 01:06 PM
Yes! There are some really great meat substitutes. They're not as healthy as eating a salad or a pile of lentils but they're much healthier than a hamburger. I really like many of the Gardein products, Field Roast has tasty "sausages" and the new big thing is Beyond Meat. The Beyond burger, made with pea protein, is unbelievably good. Vegan cheeses have also gotten tasty. There are quite a few brands made with nut milks that are really good. If going plant -based for health, none of these foods should be a major part of the diet but they make the transition a whole lot easier without cheating.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum