Posted By: defeatingin2010 Eating problems - 04-25-2012 06:18 PM
My husband says anything sweet tastes bitter now. He cannot swallow meat, pasta, rice, corn, breads, etc. They all either get stuck when he tries to swallow or they choke him. Sure, he can drink water to wash it down, but I've seen him have to drink 5 large glasses of water with a meal, and by the time you drink all of that water, you feel miserable. Does anyone have any recipes for something they can eat that tastes good and won't need several glasses of water to get it down? Please help. (his diet now mostly consists of sauteed vegetables in olive oil, oatmeal, grits, eggs, cheeses and low sugar cereal) I feel horrible fixing the same thing for him every day! But I've run out of ideas and he is so limited.
Posted By: Maria RE: Eating problems - 04-25-2012 06:40 PM
Hi, defeating -
proteins - seafood such as shrimp or scallops seems to go down easier than land-based protein. Try a mild chinese stir-fry with celery (strap off the strings), brocolli stalks (not the tops, which get stuck), and long skinny carrot pieces (cook them too long for proper chinses). Use unspiced chicken broth, soy sauce and sesame oil for the sauce; thicken a bit with corn starch. Add cooked shrimp at the very end. Serve with udon or ramen noodles.

You can do a similar combination in the Italian style. Do not add paprika or any other capsesin containing pepper just yet!

If he can eat grits, risotto may also work.
Posted By: ChristineB RE: Eating problems - 04-25-2012 09:39 PM
Here is a list of easy to eat foods which should help.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Posted By: SUEZ Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-26-2012 03:00 PM
Try baked beans! Don't know anything about your husband can you put in a signature? It took Ron a long time before he could eat what he eats now after what he went thru.
Posted By: defeatingin2010 Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-27-2012 12:43 AM
Thanks everyone!! I will post my husband's info when i can figure out how... Thank you again! I can't wait to try your ideas!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-27-2012 03:04 AM
To add a signature its very easy. Go to the my stuff tab, on the drop down menu select profile. Scroll to the bottom and type the info in the white box and submit. Dont worry about medical terms, check out what others have written and make something that tells the history. A signature greatly help when answering questions, especially with new members.
Posted By: defeatingin2010 Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-27-2012 04:22 AM
I think I got it added now. smile
Posted By: davidcpa Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-27-2012 08:42 PM
Try all things with added gravy.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: RE: Eating problems - 04-28-2012 07:49 PM
Hi defeating - Don't worry about fixing the same thing every day. Tastes have a way of changing overnite. When I was trying to fix stuff my son could tolerate and found some he liked, before I knew it, his tastes changed and he didn't like it anymore. I remember buying a blender to make milk shakes and I got some protein powder to add to the milk shake. I think he probably had or three milk shakes and didn't like the protein powder in it, so if you do find something, don't buy a lot of it. Everyone is different with their reactions to taste. At the end of Paul's Tx, we had to give away a lot of stuff to someone else he knew going through a similar experience. Christine's list of easy foods is a really good one. Another thing my son like was grilled cheese fried in a LOT of butter. And he used a lot of gravy or other sauces, too. He liked chicken noodle soup but only sipped the broth. The day he was able to eat two noodles with it, we celebrated! I think you just have to try different things to see what works. It does get better.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum