Posted By: Pipedope290 Excessive Mucus - 01-11-2017 11:23 PM
I am a Throat Cancer Survive from 2001! My Right Sinus drains 24-7 down my throat and blocks my airway. Ive been to 20 ENT's with no help. The mucus runs into my airway, and because my saliva glands are burned up the mucus is thick. It doesn't seem to go down the correct pipe. Thanks.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Excessive Mucus - 01-12-2017 05:15 AM
Welcome to OCF! Im so sorry to read about your ongoing problems. Far too many OC patients suffer long after their treatments end.

I also suffer from sinus problems (probably from rads). My doc has me on a low dose of prescription singular to help slow down the sinus flow. It does help but not completely. Its like I have a head cold every day of the year. At night, I also take childrens liquid benedryl which helps to further clear the drainage and congestion while Im sleeping. I finished rads almost 10 years ago and still have this daily problem. After reading your post I realize how fortunate I am that I can use medications to help keep my sinuses open. Have you tried either of these meds? There are also nose sprays both over the counter and prescription that may help you.

How about sleeping inclined and with a humidifier? Im sorry but Im not clear on which type of humidifier works best for what problem.

I would also suggest having a barium swallow test done so the doc and speech pathologist can see exactly what happens when you swallow. This can be very important as you do NOT want to end up with aspiration pneumonia. This test ensures whatever you are eating will go down the right pipe.

Best wishes and please keep us posted if you find a product that works for you.
Posted By: bjmpittsburgh Re: Excessive Mucus - 01-13-2017 04:43 PM
Pipedope290 -

The thick mucus is a pain to deal with. I've found that with increasing your water / liquid intake, the mucus is somewhat easier to deal with.

Have you tried a suction machine? It may help

Good Luck and congrats on the long run from your original diagnosis

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum