Posted By: me.shirl Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 04:57 PM
hello I'm new. Pre-therapy wanting to meet others who have been through this throat cancer because although I have been to all the doctors and websites there are many fears about coming out the other side. I have a trach and g-tube and although I am in a side of the healthcare field, I am overwhelmed. So how do I get started in the wwebsite to learn how to deal with it and know there is life after.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 05:03 PM
Welcome to OCF Shirley! You will find a wealth of info here and also on the main OCF pages. You will also gain valuable support as you go thru this. We are like your long lost relatives who have come to give you a hand.

It can be very overwhelming just starting out! So many appointment5s an dthings to prepare for. Do your best to eat as much as you can now. Dont worry about gaining weight, you will probably lose it during treatments.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck!!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 05:29 PM
Shirley - Glad you found us here! It's the best place to be for all the latest information. As you go through the main pages of OCF you might start with "Diagnosis" at:
http://oralcancerfoundation.org/diagnosis/index.htm

You will get ideas on the kinds of questions you want to ask of your doctors or for anyone here. So just make a list. It also help when you see the doctor if you can bring someone with you to help you remember what was said or what kind of instructions were given. There IS a life after cancer! My son is more than 5 years cancer-free and doing better than ever! Come here often and let us know what's happening with you!
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 05:31 PM
Welcome Shirl. Well, you kind of already answered your own question as you are now started on this website. There are several more specific threads for specific answers but your off to good start. If you put some info about yourself in the signature box on your profile, people will be able to help with the issues you are facing. You have a big battle ahead and support from people who have been there is of great value. Best of luck.
Posted By: David2 Re: Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 11:39 PM
Shirl, I know things are extremely hard for you right now. It's a lot to take in, and stuff the medical people are telling you can seem confusing at times. Once you've spent a bit more time exploring OCF I think many of your questions will find answers. I hope that we can help reassure you that you'll get through this!

You've got a new family here and we're ready to help.

Posted By: KP5 Re: Hello I'm new - 04-15-2012 11:39 PM
Hi Shirley,
We have all been there. Either on the caregiver side or as the patient so you are in good company. We really "get it" and when you need to vent, and you will, vent away. When you have fears, concerns, questions, we are here. We truly are a family and you will find love and support on these forums. When you have a question or concern, try to find the appropriate forum to post it in. That way you may get quicker and more specific answers.
Hang in there and know you are not alone.
Blessings,
Kathy
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Hello I'm new - 04-16-2012 01:42 AM
Hi there and welcome, we're here to listen to rants, and share and give advice. I know it's scary and overwhelming but there are many amazing peoplel here all of whom have experienced something of what you're going through... Tell us some more about yourself... Hugs! You'll get through it..
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum