Posted By: sallyanne Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 03:05 PM
Hi Everyone!

Tomorrow I will be 16 weeks out from my last radiation treatment. But, I am experiencing some pain in the back corner of the left side of my tongue where my last tooth meets my tongue.

I had the partial glossectomy back at the end of September. Then, after a hot PET during pre-radiation prep, and after much discussion, they decided to go in and do a surgical biopsy to make sure that this spot on the left back corner of my tongue near my last molar, was clear. It was. No cancer, no dysplasia- just inflammation caused from the first surgery.

Now, it feels as though my tongue is still too big for my mouth- and it rests up against that back tooth still on the left side. There is a hardened groove along the tongue, where the tongue & tooth meet. There is a fairly consistent dull pain, throbs once in a while, which seems lesser than what it did before my diagnosis... But, I am worried.

I have an appt with the SO tomorrow. My first scans are not scheduled until May 31 so that the inflammation has a chance to subside.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Can tge scar tissue cause discomfort as I am describing? I am nervous, but hopeful that it is just scar tissue.

Thanks,
Sally
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 05:31 PM
Ive seen several others describe similar after effect situations. Some members have their dentures rub and make sore spots while for others its their teeth rubbing. All too often scar tissue can be very painful. Its normal to get the jitters when things like this pop up. If its there for 2 weeks then ease your mind and get yourself checked out. Do you have an ENT? Thats who I usually go to for my check ups or things like this.

Good luck!
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 05:46 PM
Sallyanne,

I have the same problem as you. I also have a small lump in the middle of my tongue inside. I play with it with my teeth it's a habit I now have. I immediately went to my surgeon, after the CT Scan I was told it's scar tissue. Sometimes it get a little painful but not much and is noticeable to me. Yes, my tongue seems to big for my mouth too.

Hope this helps and that's the problem with you.

Keep us posted..Take care,
Connie
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 06:27 PM
Hi there... I had a very similar surgery to yours except they rebuilt my tongue on the operative side so sensation is minimal there... I have no pain, but on my real tongue, for a while post rads I had two areas that would flare up. On the right side. It was because I have two molars that are a bit inset and they rub up against my already irritated tongue. It's not continual but I find it's linked to foods I eat - anything with a hard texture - crackers, or acidic foods sets it off makes it sensitive and then my teeth make it worse. This isn't all the time. You're sp early out of rads that it will take a while to heal, even a year out - which I will be in two weeks, I have my days when things are better than others.

Keep an eye on it for changes in the area, but it's likely rads fall out. I add more rinses, and switch to bland foods for a few days and it goes away. As for feeling swollen, a neck dissection removes your lymph nodes, these guys carry lymph fluid from your head and neck... Less nodes, less drainage - more swelling - even your tongue. I find when I do my lymphatic massage my tongue thins out and I can feel it drain. Also sleep position makes a difference too. If its rubbing on your left try sleeping on your right or with your head to the right to lessen the contact while you're sleeping. - it might help. Hugs and good luck with your appointment. I'm actually waiting to see my SO now, for my checkup! Take care.
Posted By: sallyanne Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 09:36 PM
Thank you all for your insights. I will let you know how things go after tomorrow's appt. Cheryl- I hope your appt went well today!!

Thank you all!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 10:28 PM
I also have a lot of scar tissue between tongue and flap.
This is mostly along what I call the seam but more at the front tip which rubs on the last tooth at the bottom.
4 teeth where removed to anchor the flap and it�s the 5th tooth that the �seam� rubs on.
I have had biopsies on the area for the last 5 years which come up clear for cancer.
Last biopsy (2 areas for the first time) in January showed mild dysplasia front but mild-moderate near the tonsils.
I will need to keep having yearly checks and most likely biopsies.
I mention this mainly because most of your signature could be mine Sally...except for age..55 at dx smile
Good luck with your visit and please let us know how it turns out.
Gabriele
Posted By: AnneO Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-16-2012 11:11 PM
I too really think what you are feeling is because of radiation side effects, or a combination of radiation and surgery. I'm past a year now from treatment, and I have those kind of things happen, not all the time, but some days. I agree with Cheryl that the massage helps the swollen face, neck, tongue. A physical therapist who worked with me said I should touch my neck periodically especially when I feel it is swollen because what we feel and what is are often two different things. By touching my neck I can reassure my brain that my neck is essentially normal, well you know, new normal, but not swollen like I think it is. The PT said our minds perceive things being wrong because they don't match what our previous normal was, and the sense of touch restores an impression of normalcy. Interesting. It does not work all the time, but some of the time.

It's hard because we cannot ignore symptoms that might be a recurrence, but on the other hand often what we are experiencing are side effects of treatment. When in doubt have it checked out! (which you are doing)

Best,
Anne
Posted By: sallyanne Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-17-2012 07:30 PM
Great news!! It is scar tissue!! The SO had a close look at things and he was certain that it is scar tissue. I had several surgeries prior to my cancer diagnosis- so there is a LOT of scar tissue, and now, combined with the effects of radiation- it's made that much worse.
He was so kind and told me not to hesitate going back to see him as and when I feel anything that I don't like. I assume it's going to take some time to understand these "new normals", and I was very appreciative of his attitude.
Needless to say I was so happy, I nearly danced out of the hospital!!!

Thank you again for sharing your stories, and your continued kindness and support!! If anyone is going to be at the April 28 NYC walk- let me know. I plan to be there!!

Thank you!! Sally
Posted By: ilyse Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-17-2012 07:36 PM
Good news sally. Wish I was in NY. Take care. Ilyse
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-17-2012 08:21 PM
Thats very good news, Sally! So glad its just scar tissue bothering you.

Wish I was attending the NY walk but I will be at the Philadelphia walk on the 29th. Maybe next year!
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-17-2012 09:30 PM
Sally,

Wonderful news.

Take care,
Connie
Posted By: Gabe Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-17-2012 09:46 PM
Great news Sally and how wonderful that you have such a kind and caring SO.
Just to be told not to hesitate to make contact if you have any concerns must be such a relief.
Enjoy the upcoming NYC walk.
Gabriele
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-18-2012 02:21 AM
Awesome!
Posted By: Jeanna F Re: Scar tissue v tumor - 04-23-2012 07:33 AM
Fantastic news Sally. My husband also has problems with scar tissue pain, from BOT. It comes and goes, and sometimes his tongue swells and goes white, but comes good after a while. Hope you don't have too many problems in the future!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum