Posted By: plantgirl Its back!!!! - 12-17-2011 06:25 PM
After 2 months of complaining of pain and increasing trismus, my Drs finally ordered a CT scan and found a spot behind my left jawbone. I had biopsy and sure enough the cancers back. Saw my ENT Dr last week and they have decided that my treatment will be Chemo followed by surgery in which he will remove my jawbone and while Im on the operating table they will give me a blast of radiation to that area. He assured me that this is completely cureable but its extreme to say the least. Im going to do it because at this point the pain is killing me, I cant eat or sleep and the pain meds theyve given me havent touched it.Ill be seeing my Chemo Dr , Radiation Dr and a Pain management Dr on Monday so I will let you all know what happens then.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: Its back!!!! - 12-17-2011 11:11 PM
plantgirl,

Sorry to hear the cancer is back. After you meet the Pain Management Doctor Monday, and have the pain under control, I would recommend a second opinion. Pain clouds good decision making. A second opinion is a must!

Karen
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its back!!!! - 12-18-2011 02:37 AM
Sorry to hear you will have to go thru so much with your recurrence. I have also had my lower jaw removed. Its not easy but it can be done. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with regarding this type of surgery.

Best wishes!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Its back!!!! - 12-18-2011 06:38 AM
Sorry it's back but thankfully you caught it quickly and as they said its curable!!! Good luck...
Posted By: plantgirl Re: Its back!!!! - 12-20-2011 10:50 PM
I saw my Chemo Dr Monday and she explained to me that they would start the Chemo 1st week in January and the surgery would depend on how my cancer responds to the Chemo.Hopefully the cancer will stay in one place. Also saw my Rad Doc and he went over the plan to radiate me at the surgery site. Also saw the Pain management team and they are very helpful getting me the right pain meds to alleviate some of this pain. All in all it was a very informative day and they all were very patient with me and all my questions. It helps so much when you have complete faith in your Drs as I do.
Posted By: plantgirl Re: Its back!!!! - 01-22-2012 04:30 PM
They have finally given me my surgery date. Its going to be Feb 27th.I was really hoping it was going to be sooner, this waiting is driving me crazy!! I'm still have 3 more Chemos to do.Cant wait for that to be done with.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its back!!!! - 01-22-2012 09:36 PM
Wishing you all the best with your surgery. I know having a mandibulectomy is not an easy surgery. It has a long recovery period. Please let me know if I can answer any questions about a mandibulectomy. Wishing you all the best with everything you are going thru.
Posted By: plantgirl Re: Its back!!!! - 02-25-2012 08:34 PM
I will be going in for my surgery on Monday. Part of me is scared too death as my Dr has told me this is going to be at least a 10 hour surgery. He also said I will be in the hospital for about 10 days. Hopefully this will be it.
Posted By: Maria Re: Its back!!!! - 02-25-2012 09:05 PM
We will be pulling for you on Monday! It sounds like your team is on the ball with the combination therapy. It's a big surgery but you are a strong woman. Best wishes and prayers.
Posted By: mick Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 01:35 AM
you won't remember the surgery, and there will be no pain because they have come a long way in pain management. my last surgery was 12 hours and it is what it is. hang in there, better days ahead
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 02:45 AM
It is a big surgery. Its not an easy one. But it can be done. When they take you back for surgery, then next thing you know is waking up in your room. In time the whole thing will be just a blur. I wish you all the best with this!
Posted By: Kerri Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 05:37 AM
Best of luck with your surgery on Monday. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. None of us should have to suffer like this. The good news is that there is a good prognosis for a cure. Look at all that Christine has endured and her signature amazes me every time..."very happy to be alive". Draw on her strength and others than have gone before you.

I hope that you have the best possible outcome and that your recovery is smooth sailing! You will be in my thoughts on Monday and the days following. Please keep us posted with your progress as you are able.

Your friend in OCF,
Kerri
Posted By: julieann Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 06:32 AM
Just wanted to tell you I will say a prayer for you for Monday's surgery and pray that will be the end of your surgeries - NO MORE recurrances, EVER. Good luck, and let us hear from you when you can to let us know how everything went.
julieann
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 03:19 PM
Best wishes as you prepare for your surgery tomorrow. My husband had a mandibulectomy, too. That was over 3 years ago and he is doing great. Your team sounds like they have everything covered especially pain relief. You are in good hands and have OCF friends supporting you.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Its back!!!! - 02-26-2012 04:29 PM
Good luck, will definitely say a prayer all goes well!
Posted By: plantgirl Re: Its back!!!! - 03-12-2012 12:14 AM
Thanks for all he wellwishers. I came home Tuesday night...they.did take the tracheotomy Tube out but I haves e my feeding tube still in. My face is so swollen,I resemble the elephant man and I have a huge hematoma on my right leg where they took tissue for my mouth. Ive been doing pretty good moving around but I get so tired,all I want to do is sleep. Any suggestions for the lump on my leg? Cold or warm compresses or do nothing? Still hurting like hell but it gets a little easier every day.

Posted By: Cheryld Re: Its back!!!! - 03-12-2012 01:40 AM
Congrats in getting though it your strong as heck! I wish I had advice for the leg but I'm sure someone will be along... Good luck! Hugs and heal well.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum