Posted By: Johnnie Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-09-2017 02:25 PM
I replaced my regular G tube with a low profile Mickey Button in June of last year. My doctors warned me against the low profile saying it was only for children and that I would have lots of problems with it. I researched it before asking to change and they were not correct. It has been a wonderful change. It allows me much more freedom. I can even swim with a patch. Golf is more fun, lying in bed is more comfortable. I am very careful what goes into this tube but then I was before. It is a 20 French just like my old one. Go to Mickey website and take a look.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-09-2017 03:24 PM
Thanks Johnnie! Whoever told you it was only for kids is wrong, adults are ok to use the Mickey. We have several members over the years who have gone the Mickey route with success. Ive considered it myself. Many patients arent adept at their own care enough to manage doing the tube exchange which is why I think patients are steered away from it.

PS... Congrats on your 15 years post rads cancerversary smile
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-10-2017 08:04 AM
Hi Johnnie,
My husband used the Mickey button for 4 years. It is far superior to the long pendulous type tube. It would take me less than 10 seconds to change the Mickey button . I encourage others I meet on this journey to ask for the Mickey.
Best wishes,
Tammy
Posted By: bjmpittsburgh Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-10-2017 05:27 PM
Johnnie -

The low profile MIC Button is so much better than the standard G-tube.

I've been using the product for 2 1/2 years with only a few very minor issues.

In my opinion, its the best way to go for long term feeding assistance

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-11-2017 10:44 PM
I have a question to all the Mickey users...

Where is your Mickey located? If going from a PEG tube to the Mickey is placed in the same tube site? For some odd reason I was always under the impression the PEG or J/G tubes were located near the center of a patients abdomen. I dont know why but I always thought of the Mickey located slightly off center, more like a couple inches to the side.

Thanks in advance for any replies smile
Posted By: Jo in NC Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-12-2017 06:02 AM
My peg g tube is located high but to the left of middle. I did ask the surgeon about placement and he stated it is different for each person as it depends on where the stomach is located. Makes me wonder if my heart is also off center ! LoL. Just kidding !
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-12-2017 07:23 AM
Hi Christine, both these tubes are placed within the stomach. They are both PEG tubes, just differing kinds. Kris's were within an inch of each other.
Tammy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 01-16-2017 02:58 AM
Both of my Mic Key buttons were put in the same hole as my dangler, the second one placed 3 weeks after the dangler was placed to allow the stoma to develop.
Posted By: Johnnie Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 06-24-2017 11:54 PM
I have now changed from a Mickey to a Mini One made by Kimberly Clark. It is the same profile as a Mickey but much softer. It is even more comfortable than a Mickey. They are not well advertised and I had to locate do some calling to get my doctor to prescribe it as part of my protocol. Now the medical supply distributor just delivers it every three months. My Mickey and this Mini go into the same hole originally made for my dangler. They are exactly the same procedure for replacement as the dangler. If you get one, you will never go back. I swim with mine. There are water proof patches you can buy to cover it. It cannot be seen when I wear a T shirt. I sleep on that side. I play golf with it.

I still have my doctor remove and insert my Mini every three months as we are not close to medical and my wife does not think she could do it. I know I could if I had to. It takes the doctor all of 5 minutes.

I am now dealing with a wisdom tooth issue but that is another story.

Johnnie
Stage 4 cancer survivor 2002
RND
IMRT
Chemo
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 06-25-2017 12:48 AM
Thanks for sharing the information. Members who have a tube will appreciate this, I am sure.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Mickey Low Profile Button - 06-25-2017 02:46 AM
Thank you for the info on the new smaller, more comfortable Mini. Glad to hear its working out so well for you smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum