Posted By: AnitaFrances Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 04-30-2012 04:28 PM
My husband had a scary emergency Saturday evening that landed him in the ICU for 2 nights. I won't discuss that event but want to share my observations regarding his swallowing. He was put on a thickened clear liquid diet while in the ICU. And I noticed that the coughing and choking he usually experiences when he eats was remarkably GONE! The thickened food gave him more control with swallowing. Aspiration may become a thing of the past for him. I am purchasing Thick-it today and planning some new menus to support him. BTW, he was resistant to using this product before. But this hospital stay convinced him that he can look forward to and enjoy drinking and eating with thickened foods and focus on the taste. YAY BREAKTHROUGH!!!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 04-30-2012 09:35 PM
Im so sorry to hear Clark is having problems. Im glad that the thickened liquid worked so well for him. Hope he is doing much better now.
Posted By: slim Re: Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 05-01-2012 12:49 PM
Hi Anita. I've been following your posts. Sorry to hear that Clark is having problems. I will keep both of you in my prayers. He is very lucky to have you by his side.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 05-01-2012 06:44 PM
Sounds like great option... I find that things go down easier some times with almond milk rather than water. ;o)
Posted By: Jenslp Re: Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 05-02-2012 12:58 AM
Hey folks - been away for a while moving into a new position where I work as a speech pathologist in a hospital specializing with folks like me/us!

Here's what I tell my Pt's about thickened liquids:

What happens when you tip a glass of water over on the table?
It splashes and moves with lightening speed all over - going everywhere it possible can.

Now, what happens when you tip over something the consistency of a smoothie or a milkshake?
It doesn't splash and it moves slowly - giving you enough time to wipe it up before it makes a huge mess.

This is the principle at work that makes thickened liquids easier to swallow! The slower the liquid moves - the more time your muscles have to prepare for the swallow, seal your airway and protect you from coughing and choking.

Thickened liquids can sometimes get a bad rap - most people assume they're unappealling Let me say - there's very little that is MORE appealling than reducing coughing, choking and aspiration pneumonia!

Sadly, for some folks, even thickening the liquid doesn't improve the situation enough that they can safely swallow. Always ask your doctor questions you may have about swallowing and ask for a referral to an SLP!

Sorry if this sounds like a Public Service Announcement! :-)
Be well!
Posted By: klo Re: Reduce the cough with thickened liquids - 05-02-2012 09:24 PM
Brilliant! Can't wait to tell Alex!
Thanks for posting this! It makes so much sense but here we are almost 4 years post Dx and my hubby is just now discovering the advantages of thickened liquids!

I LOVE your comparison, too. I do think that, at least with my husband, we assume the further out we are from DX and TX, that things SHOULD go back to what they were before Ca. But we are both realizing AGAIN that many things will forever be challenging. It is reassuring to know that there are ways to successfully navigate after OC.

How wonderful that you are working with OC patients! Who better than you to have an insider's view. All my best as you work with and help others find the best ways to manage the after effects! Yay for you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum