Posted By: susand Got milk? - 08-11-2010 01:29 AM
I just started my 4th week of radiation treatment today, and had my 4th chemo/cisplatin. While I don't have any taste yet, I was pleased to discover that milk is very soothing to my throat. While at chemo I was able to down 3 cartons of milk for 480 calories; plan to chase my food with milk rather than water/want (for the first time in my life!) those extra calories!

Anyone have any other tips for staying on top of this game?
Posted By: Elianne Re: Got milk? - 08-11-2010 06:06 AM
Susan, if you're looking for extra calories, try adding some liquid supplements, protein powder and ice cream to that milk and put it in a blender. Generally, you can get around 750 calories per drink with this combination (maybe more if you're not pre-diabetic or diabetic). If you find you're not able to eat as much food as you'd like later on, this kind of blender drink will keep you going and you'd probably need 4 of them a day. I used 1 1/2 bottles of Boost, 3 TB whey protein powder, 1 cup of fortified milk (4 parts whole milk to 1 part skim milk powder) and 2 scoops of ice-cream. Anne
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Got milk? - 08-11-2010 01:04 PM
Instead of just whole milk mix 8ozs of milk with a 8oz can of Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC for 710 nutritionally balanced cals.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Got milk? - 05-02-2012 01:44 PM
Crosby

Thank you for finally letting me do my Chevy Chase impression:
That's "Got Milk", the clever marketing slogan since 1993, not Goat milk". I see from your profile you are a student bodybuilder (not a cancer patient or caregiver ?), so you are probably too young to get this reference to your Emily Litella moment. Sadly, more and more OCF members are young like you, so i put some background below.

To refresh the recollection of the OCF members to young to recall the late 70s Saturday Night Live skits with Gilda Radnor's character Emily Litella. : Litella became increasingly agitated as her statement progressed. Midway in her commentary, it became apparent that she had misheard and/or misunderstood the subject of the editorial to which she was responding. A typical example:
What is all this fuss I hear about the Supreme Court decision on a "deaf" penalty? It's terrible! Deaf people have enough problems as it is!
The news anchor interrupted Litella to point out her error, along the lines, "That's death, Ms. Litella, not deaf ... death." Litella would wrinkle her nose, say something like, "Oh, that's very different...." then meekly turn to the camera and say, "Never mind."

Charm

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum